Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 20 364 0000, +254 703 032 000
Abdullahi Ali is an Associate in ALN Kenya| Anjarwalla & Khanna’s Tax department. He principally advises on tax as well as corporate and commercial transactional matters to a wide variety of multinational clients in various sectors including in technology and the digital economy, telecommunication, education, health, banking and financial services, energy and infrastructure, environmental and social impact, amongst others.
Abdullahi is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Law Society of Kenya
2021: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2019: LL.B, Bachelor of Laws, Strathmore Law School
Sept 2022 – Date: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Advocates, Nairobi
Jan 2021- Aug 2022: Trainee Lawyer, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Advocates, Nairobi
Mar 2019-Dec 2020: Editor, Strathmore University Press
General Tax Advisory
- Advising Moderna, a global pioneer in messenger RNA therapeutics and vaccines in connection with the tax and corporate aspects of setting up its USD 500 Million investment in Kenya as well as on the Special Operating Framework Agreement entered into with the Government of Kenya in establishing the First mRNA vaccine manufacturing facility in Africa.
- Advising various clientsin connection with foreign direct investments and setting up operations in Kenya through various investment vehicles and the tax implications of the various investments, including setting up in a Special Economic Zone.
- Advising various clients, in connection with setting up not-for-profit entities in Kenya and the various tax implications including eligibility for obtaining tax exemptions.
- Advising various clientsin connection with the tax considerations of corporate and commercial acquisitions and reorganisations in Kenya and East Africa
- Acting for Kipeto Energy, a renewable energy company which generates electricity through wind energy, in connection with a tax dispute with the Kenya Revenue Authority of approximately USD 6 million relating to the Engineering, Procurement and Construction contract for its power project.
- Acting for Lake Turkana Wind Power Project, a renewable energy company which generates electricity through wind energy, in connection with a tax dispute with the Kenya Revenue Authority of approximately USD 40 million relating to compensation payments from the Government of Kenya.
- Acting for Libya Oil, an oil marketing company, in connection with a tax dispute with the Kenya Revenue Authority of approximately KES 20 billion relating to petroleum product gains and product losses.
- Acting for Angelica Medical Supplies, a medical supplies company in connection with a tax dispute with the Kenya Revenue Authority of approximately KES 27 million relating to tariff classification relating to medical supplies.
Private Client: Tax Structuring and Advisory
- Advising various ultra-high net worth Individuals in connection with issues ranging from tax planning and, restructuring and investment planning to succession and estate planning.
- Advising a high-net-worth family with multimillion dollar businesses in connection with the industrial and real estate sectors in restructuring of their businesses, including providing tax advice on the creation of new Kenyan trusts and assisting in reorganising the equity structure for the family companies.
- Providing tax and legal advice to a wealthy family with a multimillion-dollar business in the agriculture sector on the restructuring of its group family companies, including providing tax advice on capital gains tax and stamp duty implications of undertaking the restructuring.
74 / 75