Agnes Nicole Gichuhi
Senior Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 20 364 0000
Nicole is a Senior Associate in the Real Estate and Construction department of the firm and focuses on real estate law, construction and property development. She represents residential and commercial developers and lenders on various aspects of real estate development with a particular emphasis on acquisitions and disposals, due diligence and compliance, development structuring, property finance and leasing.
Her experience also includes advising clients on land use planning, zoning and user restrictions, environmental matters involving properties throughout Kenya.
- Law Society of Kenya
2013: Kenya School of Law, Postgraduate Diploma,
2011: University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Law, LL.B
Jan 2019 – Date: Senior Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2017 – Dec 2018: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Apr 2014 – Dec 2016: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2013 – Nov 2013: Pupil, Muciimi Mbaka & Company Advocates
Apr 2011 – Jul 2011: Legal Research Intern, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN/DESA).
Aug 2010 – Nov 2010: Legal Intern, Kilonzo & Company Advocates
Jan 2008 – Dec 2009: Legal Assistant, G.N. Gichong’i Gichuhi & Company Advocates
- Negotiating several large and complex real estate and land use transactions with a particular focus on corporate real estate purchases and sales.
- Acting for Sarit Centre, one of Kenya’s largest shopping malls, in connection with their expansion of the mall to include more retail and commercial space, including providing tax and lease structuring advice; drafting template heads of terms, agreements for lease, leases, license agreements, renewals, guarantees; preparing, negotiating and overseeing the stamping and registration of leases.
- Representing Impact North (KE) in connection with the USD. 110 Million industrial park and Grade A warehousing to be developed on a 103-acre parcel of land in Northlands, Ruiru.
- Acting for GC Residential Limited in connection with the residential development known as Garden City Village including drafting and negotiating the agreements for lease, sale agreements, long term leases, tenancy agreements, agency and management agreements.
- Representing clients in connection with mixed use developments including carrying out due diligence and negotiating sale agreements and advising the client on various issues touching on planning laws and user restrictions.
- Acting for a developer in the commercial development known as Two Rivers Lifestyle Mall and negotiating commercial (retail and office) leases with tenants.
- Representing Paramount Chief Estate in connection with its development of medium-cost housing estate along Kiambu Road.
- Acting for Ola Energy Kenya in connection with their entire property portfolio and petrol station sites, among others.
- Representing Actae Development, the developer of luxury holiday homes known as Lantana Galu in Diana along the Kenya’s south coast in connection with drafting and negotiating the transaction documents with the purchasers.
- Advising a client in connection with a wind energy project on the potential impact and risks in relation to license conditions as they relate to the Environmental Management and Coordination Act and other regulatory issues.
- Reviewing and preparing easements, restrictive agreements, relocation agreements and settlement agreements and advising a client in relation to various land related issues affecting the development of a wind power project.
- Advising various local banks on Islamic Finance including structuring and drafting documents for the various Islamic finance products to comply with Kenyan law.
- Acting for Ecobank in connection with its loan facility to an Indian corporation for the construction of power transmission lines along the Kenya/Uganda border, including drafting of the security documents and liaising with counsel from relevant other jurisdictions on structure and non-Kenyan legal issues.
- Acting for Ecobank Kenya in connection with proposed financing to a European entity with respect to an infrastructure project, including advising on documentation and preparing the security documents.
- Acting for various banks in structuring, drafting and perfection of securities including charges, debentures, non-recourse invoice discounting and assignment agreements and advising them on related legal issues.
- Advising clients on real estate taxes including stamp duty and capital gains tax.
- Drafting of commercial contracts i.e. joint venture agreements and instalment sales agreements.
- Research and preparing legal opinions on a range of land and property development issues.
19 / 70