Recognised as one of Zambia’s pre-eminent corporate lawyers, Arshad has peculiar expertise in commercial litigation and commercial transactions. He has represented a wide range of clients from both the public and private sector, including investment banks, retail banks, ﬁnancial institutions, private equity providers, and international development institutions. Arshad has renowned expertise in providing advice on lending and acquisition ﬁnancing, asset ﬁnancing, project and corporate ﬁnance, and ﬁnancial regulatory issues. Furthermore, he is exceptionally skilled at the preparation of the full spectrum of ﬁnancial product documentation. Consistently praised for his unwavering client focus, Arshad has assisted numerous clients in resolving their disputes eﬃciently and eﬀectively, whether through litigation, arbitration or mediation.
Since his appointment as Managing Partner in 2006, Arshad has overseen signiﬁcant growth at Musa Dudhia & Co. Under his leadership, the ﬁrm has quadrupled in size.
- Member, Law Association of Zambia
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales
- Member, Arbitration Association of Zambia
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Law Association of Zambia Representative on the User Committee of the Commercial Court
- Member, Law Association of Zambia Continuing Professional Development Committee
- Board Member, Woolies Zambia Limited – 2014 to date
- Member, Axis Advisory Board Zambia – 2014 to date
- Board Member, iWay Africa Limited – 2011 to date
- Board Member, Nestle Trading Zambia Limited – 2010 to date
- Board Member, Emerson Process Management Zambia Limited – 2008 to date
- Company Secretary, Pick n Pay Zambia – 2011 – 2016
- Board Member, Banc ABC Zambia – 2010 – 2016
- Board Member, Zoona – 2008 – to date
- Board Member, ALN (Mauritius)
2014: National Institute of Trial Advocacy, New York – Teachers Training
2014: National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Washington DC – Building Trial Skills
2013: Harvard Business School – Leading Professional Services Firms
2002: Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Admission as a Special Member, United Kingdom
2000: High Court of England and Wales, Solicitor, United Kingdom
1995: Stockbrokers Training Course, Registered Representative, Zambia
1992: Zambia Institute of Advanced Legal Education, Legal Practitioners’ Qualifying Exam, Zambia
1991: Kings College, University of London, Bachelor of Laws – First Class (LLB) (Hons), England
2006 to Date: Managing Partner, Musa Dudhia & Company
2005: Secondment to Kaplan & Stratton
1999 – 2006: Partner, Musa Dudhia & Company
1992 – 1999: Associate, Musa Dudhia & Company
Awards & Recognitions
- Arshad Dudhia is a “major name in commercial litigation,” according to market participants. He has a wealth of experience handling the full range of commercial transactions and disputes. He is active on matters such as securities and corporate acquisitions. Clients find him to always be “accessible” and peers find it a “tough time up against him.” He is widely acknowledged by the market as a “leading lawyer”. – Chambers Global 2020
- “Clients highlight Arshad Dudhia and describe him as “exceptionally good at what he does.” Market commentators respect him for his activity in the market, in particular the commercial and M&A sphere.” – Chambers Global 2017
- “Managing partner Arshad Dudhia has notable expertise handling commercial transactions and disputes” –The Legal500 2017.
- “A client working with Arshad on an acquisition ﬁnance deal, says…Arshad Dudhia “is a senior lawyer but very commercially astute, extremely knowledgeable, practical, and well-respected in the market” – IFLR1000 (Financial and Corporate) 2017.
- Arshad is individually ranked as a Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded by the IFLR1000 2018 Financial and Corporate Guide.
- Arshad has consistently received Band 1 individual ranking in litigation and business law by Chambers and Partners for over 12 years including the year 2017
- Acting for Norsad Finance in connection with a matter in which the client had subscribed for USD 12.5 million worth of secured notes traded on the Lusaka Securities Exchange where proceeds were to be used by the issuer to purchase interim payment certificates from small scale road contractors. The issuer defaulted on coupon payments and by the time of the maturity date, was unable to redeem the Client’s notes. Our role was, among others, to commence an action and pursue all various players in a bid to have the issues determined.
- Acting for a client in connection with an action seeking among other things, a declaration that the client has a beneficial and legal share of properties acquired jointly by the client and the defendant during their unmarried union, including obtaining an interim ruling from the Court which recognised the client’s interest in the property pending the substantive hearing of the matter. This matter is of particular interest as currently issues relating to property settlement between couples are only recognised under the Marriage Act and Matrimonial Causes Act which are only applicable to married couples. This case will set precedence on how far the courts are willing to recognise the rights of parties of an unmarried union in relation to property acquired jointly.
- Acting as lead counsel for a client in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in a marble mine in Zambia which required the consent of the Ministry of Mines and establishing a debt repayment schedule as part of the purchase price.
- Representing TEAL Mining, a South African listed company, in connection with the acquisition of surface rights for its mining activities in the Copperbelt.
- Advising Zambeef Products in connection with the successful listing on the Alternative Investment Market of the London Stock Exchange, which was Zambia’s first London cross-listing.
- Acting for a client as lead counsel in connection with Zambia’s first mandatory offer of minority interests at a cost of USD 100 million to Bharti Airtel.
- Acting as local counsel in connection with the sale of a significantly large mining company in Africa to Jinchuan Group.
- Acting as local counsel for International Finance Corporation and the Government of Zambia in connection with the USD 1.5 billion Kafue Gorge Dam construction project.
- Acting as local counsel for Northwest Energy Corporation, which is distributing electricity to Lumwana Property Development Company as part of the Equinox Minerals Mining Development in North-western Zambia in connection with their due diligence matter.
1 / 13