Principal Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 (0) 20 364 0000
Huldah Ateka is a Principal Associate in Anjarwalla & Khanna’s Corporate department. Huldah principally advises on corporate and commercial law, capital markets, employment, mergers and acquisitions, competition law, and other regulatory matters.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Law Society of Kenya
2016: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2014: Bachelors of Law (LL.B, Second Class Honours (Upper Division)), University of Nairobi
2012: Certified Public Secretary (CPS), Section I
Apr 2022 – Date: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Sept 2020 – Mar 2022: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Feb 2020 – Aug 2020: Associate (Secondment) Anjarwalla & Khanna, Tanzania
Jul 2018 – Feb 2020: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2017 – Jul 2018: Trainee Lawyer, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2015 – Dec 2015: Legal Intern, MMAN Advocates
- World Bank Group: Doing Business 2020 – Comparing Business Regulation in 190 Economies (Kenya Contributor)
- COVID-19: The Global Impact on the Mining Industry (Kenya Contributor)
- Huldah contributes to the Practical Law Competition multi-jurisdictional monthly.
- Acting for Helios Investment Partners, a private equity investing firm operating in Africa and based in London and Telkom Kenya, in connection with the merger of the second and third largest mobile telephony operators in Kenya – Airtel Networks Kenya, Airtel and TKL and consolidation and restructuring their respective Mobile, Fixed Line, Enterprise and Carrier Services businesses in Kenya to operate under a joint venture company to be named Airtel-Telkom, resulting in a consolidation of the mobile telephony market in Kenya from three to two players as well as the restructuring and possible transfer of the parties mobile financial services businesses and undersea cable and landing stations businesses to separate entities.
- Acting for WPP Scangroup, a Kenyan listed company, and Research and Marketing Group International, one of the leading integrated Publishing groups in the MENA region, in connection with its disposal of 60% of the Kantar Africa Business.
- Acting for Emerging Capital Partners, a US based Private Equity fund, in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in ArtCaffe, a leading restaurant chain in Kenya.
- Acting for AfricInvest’s financial inclusion vehicle, a company targeting equity investments in Tier II and Tier III financial institutions in Africa, in connection with their equity investment in a 24.76% stake in I&M Bank Rwanda, a Rwandan listed bank, a landmark deal in Rwanda.
- Acting for a consortium of investors comprising Africinvest Capital Partners, DEG, FMO and Proparco, in connection with their initial and subsequent investment in a 14.3% of stake in Britam Holdings, a Kenyan listed insurance and asset management group with operations in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Malawi, South Sudan and Mozambique.
- Preparing a COMESA Competition Commission filing for Equity Group Holdings, one of the largest commercial banks in Africa by number of customers and publicly traded on the Nairobi, Ugandan and Rwandan securities exchanges in connection with the acquisition of 66.53% stake in Banque Commercial Du Congo (BCDC), the oldest bank in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Acting with Ernst & Young in connection with a World Bank funded project advising the Government of Somaliland in connection with the drafting of new laws in relation to Anti-Money Laundering, National Payment Systems, Money Remittance.
- Acting for Garda World, a Canadian headquartered global company and one of the world’s largest security companies, in connection with their acquisition of KK Security, a Kenya-based security company operating in eight African countries comprising Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, Mauritius, Malawi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Advising a group of hospitals based in Kenya on the impact of the Data Protection Act and steps required to be taken to achieve compliance with the same.
- Advising on a variety of employment matters including redundancy, unlawful deduction of wages, termination of employment and advising clients on the legal duties and risks in respect of retaining or terminating of employment in various transactions in their proposed restructurings.
- Advising various clients in connection with competition law issues related to mergers and acquisitions and procuring regulatory approvals from regulators such as the Competition Authority of Kenya, the Fair Competition Commission and the COMESA Competition Commission.
- Assisting in conducting due diligence and preparing various transaction documents involving the purchase of shares or assets of different companies.
- Advising a variety of companies in regulated and non-regulated sectors on setting up of businesses in Kenya.
- Advising various clients across sectors in connection with their local and multi-jurisdictional due diligence exercises for M&A transactions, which cover Tanzanian matters relating to corporate entities, regulatory compliance, employment, land, environment, and competition.
- Advising one of East Africa’s largest sports and online betting companies in connection with an investment in Tanzania.
32 / 70