Jason Harel is a co-founding partner of BLC Robert and boasts substantial experience in corporate M&A, workout transactions as well as taxation. He generally practises in the areas of corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, corporate insolvency, real estate, tax but also advises on litigation matters.
Consistently identified as a ‘leading practitioner’ in his field by legal directories, Jason acts for public and private companies, banks, hotels and real estate on a range of acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Jason sits on a number of boards of directors including JP Morgan Investments Ltd and African Legal Network (ALN) and IBL Ltd. He is also chairman of a family controlled hotel group.
Prior to joining BLC Robert and after completing his pupillage with Grays’ Tax Chambers, the leading tax chambers in the UK, Jason was a senior associate within the Trade Finance and Project Finance Group of Denton Wilde Sapte LLP in London from 2000 to 2005. Jason is also a Chartered Accountant and worked for Kingston Smith in their corporate insolvency and restructuring divisions. He is qualified as a Barrister both in England and Wales and the Republic of Mauritius.
The Chambers Global Guide describes Jason as someone who “blends accounting knowledge with an in-depth knowledge of private international law” and client feedback in the Chambers Global Guide describes him as “extremely responsive, applying a western work ethic and with world class experience.”
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Mauritius Bar Association
1998 – 1999: Inns of Court School of Law
1998: Qualified as Chartered Accountant
1991 – 1994: University of Wales, Aberystwyth – LLB(Hons)
2005 – Date: Partner, BLC Robert
2000 – 2005: Denton Wilde Sapte, Solicitors
1999 – 2000: Pupil to Philip Baker QC, Grays Inn Tax Chamber
1994 – 1998: Kingston Smith, Chartered Accountants (Corporate recovery and forensic accountants)
Awards and Recognition
- Recognized as ‘’leading individual’’ by Legal 500 EMEA 2021
- Described as a “very dynamic” lawyer, “excellent for international matters” by Chambers Global 2017
- Recognised for “Excellent Reputation” by Legal 500 EMEA 2016
- Ranked as a “leading lawyer” by Chambers Global & IFLR 1000 since 2011
- Advised Dentressangle Initiatives in the acquisition of shares in Sun Resorts Limited.
- He recently successfully appeared before the Privy Council for Shoprite in connection to an appeal against a VAT assessment on management fees not invoiced nor paid.
- He is currently advising and acting for one of the largest corporations in Japan in connection to a Rs 25 million dispute with the special administrator of Iframac.
- Acting for the main contractor of a Rs 1.8 billion residential project on the proposed takeover of that project out of its liquidation.
- Advising Apavou Hotels in connection with a share purchase and subscription agreement and a joint venture agreement between Apavou Hotels and Sun Resorts Limited.
- Acting for an international financial institution in connection to its Mauritius activities by way of auction bids.
- Advised Essar Communications in connection to its disposal of its Interest in Vodaphone Essar.
- Advised a number of fund managers and promoters in connection to setting up collective investment schemes in Mauritius.
- Advised the successful bidder in connection to privatisation of a sugar estate in Uganda;
- Advised the project company in connection to a single point mooring/pipeline project in Ghana.
- Advised an international corporation in connection to the purchase of a Mauritian Company which owed breweries in India.
- Advised a Mauritius Corporation in connection to its bid for a Mauritius listed company;
- Advised a Mauritius Corporation in connection to the disposal of its subsidiary in Malawi and acquisition of a minority stake in a Seychelles corporation by means of a share exchange agreement.
- Advised an English Corporation in connection to its joint venture with a Mauritius corporation to developed an integrated resort scheme.
- Advised an aircraft manufacturer in connection to its offset agreement with the Government of Mauritius and the setting up of the offset fund.
- Advised a Mauritius listed corporation on the implementation of the code of corporate governance of Mauritius.
- Advised an international bank in connection to the setting up of a real estate fund in Mauritius for investments in India.
- Advised New Cingular Inc. in connection to the sale of holding in Idea telecom in India.
- Advised the sponsor of an integrated resort in Botswana in connection to the appointment of a hotel operator including review and negotiation of the terms of the hotel management agreement and technical services agreement.
- Advised an international bank in connection to the project financing of a hotel project in Seychelles.
- Advised the sponsor of hotel project in Nigeria in connection to the negotiation of the management agreement, shareholders agreement and lending documents.
- Advised the administrator of a British Company on the sale of its subsidiary which owned a mine in Zimbabwe.
- Advised an international bank on the work-out of an East African (including Mauritius) oil company.
- Advised an international bank on the sale of its Nigerian subsidiary to the minority shareholders.
- Advised an oil major company in connection to the receivership and subsequently the liquidation of the Zambian National Oil Company.
- Advised an international oil company in connection to the work-out of its secured debtor in Nigeria.
- Advised a Kenyan corporate in connection to a restructuring/workout of its existing debt by way of a property receivables backed project financing.
- Advised a UK corporate and a Mauritian corporate in connection to their establishment, certain related debt and equity investment arrangements and their finance businesses.
2 / 24