Kasim holds an LL. B (Hons.) upper second-class degree from Makerere University, Kampala and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. He is an Associate with the firm and works with the Litigation and Real Estate & Property teams.
Kasim actively advises clients on a wide range of aspects, including commercial litigation, property and real estate, Islamic banking and finance, immigration and employment. He completed the Webber Wentzel Litigation Associate Foundation Programme 2021 in Johannesburg and the ALN 2021 Mini MBA Course in Nairobi.
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- B (Hons.), Makerere University, Uganda
2018 – Date: Associate, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
2015 – 2018: Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
Apr 2015- Jul 2015: Clerkship Student, MMAKS Advocates
2014- 2015: Legal Trainee, Alaka & Company Advocates
- Acting for the Aga Khan Foundation in connection with an acquisition of prime land in Nakawa from the Government of Uganda for setting up a state of art Aga Khan University teaching hospital at an estimated cost of USD 100 million.
- Acting for PDM Uganda, a Ugandan top real estate developer, in connection with a matter involving setting up a state-of-the-art Infinity Court condominium apartment in Kololo, Kampala, valued at USD 12 million, including advising on the project structure and the notion of off plan property sales.
- Acting successfully for DFCU Bank in connection with the Commercial Court Suit No. 93 of 2021 Simba Telecom and others Vs DFCU Bank challenging various credit facilities of USD 4 million and UGX 24 billion.
- Acting for GEMS Cambridge, an International School in Kampala, in connection with a matter involving reviewing a development and lease agreement with Nationwide Properties for the construction of a new boarding facility valued at USD 4 million.
- Acting for National Housing & Construction Company in connection with the provision of conveyancing services on an exclusive basis, including preparing lease agreements and sale agreements and effecting property transfers of its condominium developments in Bugolobi, Naalya, Makerere, Bukoto in Kampala.
- Acting for Bestpack Uganda, a Ugandan subsidiary of Safe pack Kenya, in connection with purchase of various properties in Kampala from NC Beverages and other vendors of USD 5 million, including participating in negotiation, structuring the acquisition, drafting documentation, conducting due diligence on the vendors and registering the transfers.
- Acting for Bottle Closure, a Uganda subsidiary of Metal Crowns, in connection with its purchase of a prime property in Kampala from Sumaria Properties of USD 2 million, including participating in negotiation, structuring the acquisition, drafting documentation, conducting due diligence on the vendors and registering the transfers.
- Acting for Lake Perch and Wild Perch in connection with the acquisition of two fish processing plants in Uganda from Tampa Fisheries and Oakwood of USD 5 million, including participating in negotiation, structuring the acquisition, reviewing and drafting documentation, conducting due diligence on the vendors and registering the transfers.
- Acting for Stanbic Bank Uganda, Barclays Bank Uganda and Diamond Trust Bank in connection with the day-to-day preparation and perfection of securities.
- Advising Goldman Sachs International Bank, London in connection with various queries relating to the Uganda financial legal regime.
- Advising several corporate entities, including banks, NGOs, multinational companies and international entities in connection with employment and immigration matters on an ongoing basis.
- Acting for Ascent Point Investments, a Ugandan top real estate developer, in connection with a matter involving setting up condominium apartments at Naalya, Wakiso, including advising on the project structure and off plan property sales.
- Acting for various organisations in connection with processing immigration facilities, including work permits, special and dependent passes. These organisations include Fluor Intercontinental, KONE East Africa, Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Clinton Health, Bollore Africa Logistics, Give Directly, Internation Aids Vaccine Initiative (IAVI), Volcanoes Safaries, American Refugee Committe (ARC), Awamo GmbH, Mylan Industries, MASH, Development International Desjardins-DID, EFC Uganda, Tech Mahindra, Open Society Initiative for East Africa (OSIEA), XSML Capital Uganda and several other individual clients and corporate entities on an ongoing basis.
- Acting for Stanbic Bank in Supreme Court Civil Appeal No. 5 Of 2016 – Hilda Musinguzi vs Stanbic Bank Uganda in which the Supreme Court of Uganda reaffirmed the unfettered right of an employer to terminate an employment relationship by either giving the employee notice or paying in lieu thereof and that it is immaterial that the payment in lieu of notice is made after termination of the employment relationship.
- Acting for DFCU Bank (in a former Crane Bank liability matter) in the Court of Appeal Civil Application No. 67 of 2014 Crane Bank vs Amos February and 2 others where the Court of Appeal struck out the notice of appeal and entire respondents’ appeal for missing essential steps.
- Representing several individual clients and corporate entities, including Stanbic Bank Uganda, Diamond Trust Bank Uganda, Centenary Rural Development Bank, Barclays Bank Uganda, Equity Bank Uganda, National Water & Sewerage Corporation, NGOs, multinational companies and international entities in the High Court of Uganda and subordinate courts thereto in high profile litigation matters on an ongoing basis.
13 / 23