Senior Advisor | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 20 364 0000
+245 0703 032 000
Lynn Mukami is a Senior Advisor at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna and a member of the forensics, risk and compliance department. She has over five years’ practical experience in financial crime, fraud risk management and investigations, compliance reviews, third party monitoring, due diligence and grant management assurance, risk advisory and internal audit.
Lynn has extensive experience working on cross-border assignments and delivering solutions across Africa and various sectors such as the fast-moving consumer goods, financial services (banking and insurance), non-profit, manufacturing, hospitality, among other sectors.
She provides solutions to complex organizations’ problems and ‘walks the journey’ with our clients to assist them in anticipating uncertainty and risk better, realizing rewards and rising from obstacles stronger.
- Institute of Internal Auditors
2022: Certified Internal Auditor – (Ongoing; Part 1 completed)
2015: Bachelor of Commerce, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
April 2022 – Date: Senior Advisor 1, A&K Forensics LLP
Mar 2022: Senior Consultant, Rockville Consulting Limited, Nairobi
Jun 2021 – Sept 2021: Consultant, Risk Advisory, Deloitte East Africa, Nairobi
Oct 2018 – May 2021: Senior Analyst, Risk Advisory, Deloitte East Africa, Nairobi
Mar 2017 – Sept 2018: Analyst Advisory, Deloitte East Africa, Nairobi
Internal Audit & Risk Advisory
- Acting on behalf of several organizations’ board of directors spanning the FMCG, Financial Services, Telecommunications, and Manufacturing sectors to execute internal audits. Performing the following tasks:
- Developing risk-based internal audit plans (based upon risk assessment exercises).
- Carrying out the internal audit fieldwork, in adherence to the risk-based audit plan and International Professional Practice Framework (IPPF):
- Analyzing the risks threatening the achievement of the different process objectives.
- Examining the controls in place to ensure that they are adequately designed to mitigate the risks i.e. performed by the right employee, at the right time, the control is evidenced, and that it is sustainable and
- Inspecting the evidence in place to ensure that the controls were operating effectively.
- Documenting all work done in a comprehensive audit programs.
- Noting all gaps and areas of improvement in the clients’ internal control environment.
- Holding close-out meetings with all process owners and management.
- Preparing draft internal audit reports, incorporating an executive summary, detailed findings, responses from management, recommendations to close the gaps noted and management’s timelines for implementation.
- Acting on behalf of an international donor organisation in connection with building capacity within the internal audit and risk management departments of one of its implementing partners.
- Assessing the enterprise risk maturity of an international non-profit organisation and facilitation to implement its annual comprehensive risk management plan.
- Conducting a governance framework review of a bankers association in East Africa.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the board of directors on behalf of an international re-insurance company.
Forensics and Investigations
- Acting for the Central Bank of Kenya in connection with conducting an Anti-Money Laundering / Combating the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) compliance review of a Kenyan Tier 2 bank, which has over forty (40) branches across the country, including a detailed assessment of the adequacy of the internal controls over the AML/CFT program, the operations and role of the anti-money laundering officer, the AML/CFT risk assessment, customer due diligence measures, the bank’s transactions monitoring process, reporting of suspicious and large cash transactions, adequacy of the AML/CFT training program, and record keeping procedures. Additionally, reviewed AML/CFT related management information to the board of directors, underlying data management systems and IT infrastructure supporting the bank’s AML/CFT program and delivering a comprehensive report to the regulator (Central Bank of Kenya) with a copy to the bank’s board of directors detailing observations and recommendations to close gaps noted.
- Acting for a multinational payments technology company, headquartered in the U.S.A, in connection with an investigation of its operations in West and East Africa to establish whether there was an infringement of the AML/CFT regulations and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) through bribes or kickbacks through their different agents and partners, including providing a comprehensive report on findings noted and recommendations to address the same.
- Acting for a multinational manufacturing company, headquartered in the U.S.A, in connection with a compliance review of its operations in Kenya to establish whether there were any infringements to the Kenyan registration and licencing regulations, taxation and statutory deduction laws and the Employment Act.
- Acting for an international donor organisation in connection with a forensic investigation of one of its implementing partners over irregularities in the procure-to-pay process including conducting a detailed review of the supplier qualification and bidding procedures used, existence of the bidders, vouching each related procurement and payment transaction, identifying any conflicts of interest and overriding of management controls.
- Acting for an international donor organisation in connection with a due diligence review of a potential implementing partner, including conducting an assessment of the institution’s anti-corruption program, management and organisation, risk management, financial management, procurement procedures and providing a comprehensive due diligence report detailing the strengths noted, areas of improvement and practical recommendations to help close the gaps.
- Acting for an international donor organisation in connection with a due diligence review of several potential implementing partners, including conducting an assessment of the risks and controls in place regarding the institution’s governance and internal control environment, ability to deliver, financial stability and downstream delivery, it included Issuing a comprehensive due diligence reports, carefully detailing the strengths noted, areas of improvement and recommendations to close the gaps.
- Acting for an international donor organisation in connection with a public financial management risk assessment of sevaral potential implementing partners to identify and evaluate transaction level fiduciary risks of the entities’ public financial management systems, including reviewing the entity’s budget management, procurement processes, cash management and treasury, internal control, audit and compliance.
- Acting for an International NGO in connection with an investigation into several alleged irregularities within the work environment i.e., unfair working conditions, favoritism and bias.
- Acting for a technology start up in connection with an investigation into alleged wrongful termination of employment, and alleged unfair treatment and racial discrimination.
- Acting for an International NGO in connection with an investigation into alleged irregularities within the work environment i.e., abuse of power, bullying, and harassment by a staff member at a position of authority.
60 / 74