Martin is a Manager at A&K’s Forensics and Investigations department. He has over 8 years’ extensive experience in financial consultancy. Martin has been involved in fraud investigations, FCPA and Anti Bribery compliance reviews as well as dispute advisory projects. He has wide ranging experience in fraud investigation, having been the project lead on matters that include:
- The review of procurement matters
- Asset and cash misappropriation
- Loss quantification
- Employee misconduct
- Fraud risk analysis
- FCPA/Anti Bribery /Corruption/ethical environment assessment
- Enhanced due diligence and dispute advisory engagements
- Association for Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants(ICPAK)
2017: Certified Fraud Examiner-CFE
2010: Certified Public Accountant of Kenya – CPA (K)
2010: Bachelor of Business and Management (BBAM)- Egerton University
Jan 2019 – Date: Manager-A&K Forensic and Investigations
Sept 2018-Dec 2018: Manager – Fraud Investigation & Dispute Services, Deloitte
Sept 2017- Aug 2018: Senior Consultant- Fraud Investigation & Dispute Services, Deloitte
Sept 2014- Aug 2016: Consultant- Fraud Investigation & Dispute Services, Deloitte
Jul 2013 – Aug 2014: Senior Business Analyst-Fraud Investigation & Dispute Services, Deloitte
Jun 2011 – Jun 2013: Operations Assistant-Commercial Bank of Africa(CBA)
Sept 2010 – Feb 2011: Accounts Assistant-ENG Kenya Ltd
Fraud Investigation, Banking Sector
Prior to joining A&K
- Acting for the client’s Board of Directors in connection with a fraud investigation in a tier II state owned bank in Kenya, including identifying the fraudulent transactions, quantifying the loss suffered, and identifying the potential fraud perpetrators. The forensic report was adopted by the board and applied in the subsequent disciplinary procedures as well as in legal proceedings to recover the lost funds.
- Acting for a private Tier II bank in connection with forensic investigations following the collapse of the bank, including identifying fraudulent transactions that led to the collapse of the bank, identifying the individuals involved and quantifying the loss suffered.
- Acting for a Tier III bank in connection with forensic investigations following an anonymous whistle blowers report, including conducting a forensic audit that was able to verify the whistle-blowers allegation by obtaining and presenting the relevant evidence to the Board.
- Acting for a Pan-African Financial institution, in connection with fraud investigations at the institution that was sanctioned by the Board following allegations of financial statements fraud, procurement fraud as well as general misconduct and failure to comply with the organisations code of conduct.
- Acting for the board of UN employee affiliated SACCO, in connection with fraud investigations the SACCO following allegations of embezzlement of funds which crippled the operations of the SACCO.
Fraud Investigation, Oil & Gas Sector
- Acting for a major pan-African oil and gas distributor, in connection with fraud investigations at the company following allegations of fraud involving key employees at the company’s fuel depots, including conducting initial investigations, conducting a forensic audit and performing periodic reconciliations on oil stocks in both Kenya and Uganda where the company has operations.
- Acting for a major oil and gas distributor with operations in Kenya, including performing a fraud investigation following allegations of fraud by employees of the company.
- Acting for a major global oil company in Tanzania in connection with fraud investigations, including conducting a fraud investigation on allegations of procurement fraud, theft and misappropriation of company assets, by some employees of the company; presenting the evidence obtained; and providing suitable recommendations to prevent recurrence of the same.
- Acting for a major European gas exploration company with operations in Tanzania, in connection with forensic investigations, including carrying out a major investigation into allegations of fraud in the procurement of goods and services and providing a forensic report that was able to provide details of how the fraud was perpetrated, the individuals involved and the potential loss suffered by the organisation. The report also made suitable recommendations to prevent recurrence of the same in future.
Fraud Investigation, Manufacturing
- Acting for a major car assembler in Kenya, in connection with the establishment of the veracity of allegations of fraud made against employees of the company, including performing a fraud risk assessment and advising the management of ways of improving internal processes to prevent fraud.
- Acting for a major plastic items manufacturer in Kenya, in connection with an investigation, including looking into allegations of fraud made against key company employees, conducting stock counts, reconciling the stock, making bank reconciliations and conducting interviews to the relevant individuals.
Fraud Investigation – NGOs
- Acting for a major global humanitarian organisation with partner organisations in Kenya, in connection with a fraud investigation to verify the use of grants by the partner organisation.
- Acting for a medium sized Norwegian NGO working with the deaf communities in Africa, in connection with an investigation into allegations of fraud and misconduct levelled against key senior employees of the organisation, including identifying instances of fraud and misconduct which were reported to the client.
Fraud Investigation, Others
- Acting for a major media company in Kenya, in connection with investigations of allegations of procurement fraud and HR Fraud, including Sexual harassment allegations.
- Acting for an innovations company involved in the sale and distribution of Solar panels, in connection with fraud investigations to establish facts regarding allegations of fraud in the procurement of goods and services by the company officials.
- Acting for a major public utility company in Kenya, in connection with investigations allegations of fraud in billings, finance and procurement.
- Acting for a major sugar company in Western Kenya, in connection with investigations for allegations of fraudulent payment to cane farmers, casual employees as well as well as other issues such as issuance of farm inputs.
fCPA/Anti-Bribery Compliance Audits
- Acting in corroboration with a US law firm, in connection with allegations of bribery and FCPA violation concerns raised against a global mining company with operations in Ghana.
- Acting in corroboration with a Swiss law firm, in connection with allegations of bribery made against a swiss registered company with operations in Kenya, including reviewing of documents to establish the veracity of the bribery allegations.
- Acting for a major equity fund, in corroboration with the client’s legal representatives, in connection with settling a dispute over the acquisition of a business unit by the PE fund, including assessment of accuracy of information disclosed to the PE fund by the previous owners of the target entity. This was part of the dispute resolution process.
- Acting on the instructions of two parties to a dispute, and pursuant to a court order, in connection with allegations and counter allegations of mismanagement and fraud made by the two parties against each other following the placement under receivership of a company owned by one party by the financiers who are the other party.
- Acting for a major international research organisation, in connection with a dispute involving the research organisation and a local grantee in West Africa, including ascertainment of the validity of financial claims made by the grantee.
- Acting for the estate of a prominent personality, in connection with a forensic audit to verify the validity of the claims made against the estate of the deceased.
40 / 69