Norman is an Associate with the Corporate Advisory team. He has a broad and well-established corporate practice ranging from advising both domestic and international clients on a variety of transactions, including M&A and private equity transactions, capital markets, corporate restructurings, insolvency, projects & infrastructure, and general corporate and commercial advisory across a range of sectors, including energy, mining, insurance, communications, and gaming and betting. He also routinely advises businesses on data protection and privacy related matters.
With over 6 years’ experience, Norman has amassed invaluable experience from exposure to different markets through trainings and secondment at top-tier law firms in South Africa and Kenya. He has vast experience in conducting due diligences on companies, drafting, and reviewing of commercial and operational agreements, preparing legal opinions, setting up investment vehicles and advising on joint venture transactions. Norman also has extensive knowledge and a deep understanding of charities/Non-Governmental Organisations from routinely providing practical and commercially astute advice relating to their establishment, governance and compliance as well as providing legal support and advice on their operations.
Norman holds an upper-second class LL.B (Hons) degree from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre.
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
2014–2015: Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (Uganda)
2010–2014: LL.B (Hons.), Uganda Christian University
2019 – Date: Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2016 –2018: Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
Jan – Apr 2016: Legal Trainee, Kampala Associated Advocates
Apr – Jun 2015: Clerkship, MMAKS Advocates
June 2013: Internship, MMAKS Advocates
Awards & Accolades
- Dean’s Merit List, Uganda Christian University, Mukono
- Advising an FTSE 100 company, one of the world’s largest sports betting and gaming groups operating in the online and retail sector, in connection with their acquisition of a stake in a sports betting and gaming company in Uganda, including conducting a comprehensive legal due diligence on the operations and existing corporate status of the target company, advising on the regulatory environment for gaming and betting business in Uganda, and reviewing the transaction agreements.
- Advising a client in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in a microfinance institution in Uganda, including advising on the share acquisition; conducting due diligences on the targets; advising on the regulatory landscape for the conduct of a microfinance business in Uganda; and advising on all the applicable statutory and contractual consents, permits and approvals required to effect the transaction.
- Advising a client in connection with the acquisition of a stake in a company that provides on demand motorcycle ride hailing services through an online application in Uganda, including conducting a comprehensive due diligence on the target and advising on the regulatory landscape for the conduct of an online motorcycle hailing business in relation to approvals required for the transaction, the process, documents, timing, and costs involved.
- Advising a leading communications company in Uganda in connection with the proposed acquisition of a majority stake by Dentsu Aegis Network, a multinational media and digital marketing communications company headquartered in London.
- Advising a client in connection with the divesture of a majority shareholder’s interest in an entity holding the national lottery licence business in Uganda, including attending to a sale of a sports betting business as a going concern.
- Advising a leading gaming company in Europe in connection with its proposed acquisition, through an SPV, of majority shares in an entity holding the national lottery business in Uganda.
- Advising a leading Kenyan gaming company that operates both online and mobile based lottery and gaming services in Kenya in connection with a transaction that involved the launching of lottery and gaming products in Uganda.
- Advising a client in connection with the amalgamation of the SN Power entities in Uganda, including preparing and registering the requisite amalgamation documents at the Companies Registry.
- Advising Google LLC in connection with its investment in the Safe Boda holding company by way of a Simple Agreement for Future Equity, including reviewing the SAFE and the privacy policies of Safe Boda Uganda and its third-party service providers.
- Advising an international video on demand company in connection with the regulatory and commercial implications linked to the operation of its service or product in Uganda, including advising on data protection and privacy, broadcasting requirements, embedded payment options on the platform, gift cards and contractual obligations, among others.
- Advising the Embassy of the United States of America in Kampala in connection with real estate matters.
- Acting for Mandela Group of Companies including Café Javas, Mandela Auto Spares Limited, City Tyres, Mandela Millers in connection with various mandates pertinent to their operations.
- Advising Ssanga Courts Uganda in connection with the establishment and management of a multi-million condominium development in Kampala.
- Advising a property developer in connection with the establishment and management of a multi-million condominium development in Kololo, including structuring and negotiating the joint venture and related agreements.
- Advising various local and foreign companies in connection with their winding up and liquidation matters.
- Acting for the major creditors in the Administration of Uganda Telecom and Afrimax Uganda trading as Vodafone Uganda.
- Advising several indigenous, regional, foreign, and international NGOs or charity organisations in connection with their setting up and providing operation support.
- Advising several domestic and international entities in connection with the Ugandan data protection laws, compliance, and the applicability to their operations.
12 / 22