Osward is an Associate at A&K Tanzania having joined the firm in April 2021. Before joining the firm Osward was previously an Associate at Dentons EALC – East African Law Chambers, with over three years of experience in the Corporate and Tax departments. Osward’s areas of focus are corporate law, mergers & acquisition, international trade, land and conveyancing and tax matters.
2018: Postgraduate Diploma, Law School Tanzania
2016: LL.B, Tumaini University Makumira
Apr 2021 – Date: Associate, A&K Tanzania
Nov 2018 – Apr 2021: Associate, Dentons EALC- East African Law Chambers
Aug -Oct 2018: Legal Officer at East African Law Chambers
Feb -Apr 2018: Intern at East African Law Chambers
Apr -Jun 2018: Intern at Ilala District Court
Jun -Jul 2017: Legal Officer at Kweka Law Chambers and Advocates
- Advising a US based financial institution in connection with a term loan granted to Agrobusiness company in Tanzania.
- Representing a Tanzanian commercial bank in connection with various matters including drafting of security documents security perfection, registration and recovery.
- Advising a Dutch based development bank on a financing in connection with the development of cross-border hydro power project.
- Advising a resident shipping agent in connection with the relevant legal and procedures in the safe extraction of weapons in Tanzania kept in storage at the Mzinga Corporation left by a foreign maritime security company.
- Advising a Kenyan based bank in connection with USD 46 million financing of local company and its related companies and securities held by the Tanzanian related Bank as the Security Agent.
- Advising a Kenyan based beverage company in connection with the acquisition of additional shares in a Tanzanian leading beer and spirits company including seeking for the merger approvals from the competition authority.
- Advising an International renewable energy company in connection with the acquisition of shares in a power company including advising on permitting status of the project and advising on approvals by competition authority.
- Advising an international network and content services licensee in connection with the acquisition of additional Shares by a Tanzanian shareholder and advising on approvals by competition authority and sector regulators.
- Advising a Tanzanian petroleum wholeseller/distribution company in connection with the acquisition of various petrol station sites, including undertaking extensive due diligence on landed properties, as well as advising on licensing and permitting requirements.
- Assisting a US based international law firm in preparation of the legal handbook for Tanzanian legal framework for foreign investors.
- Acting as the advisor of an Agrobusiness company in the sale of Business to a foreign investor and its implication on land rights in Tanzania.
- Assisting a South African based international law firm in connection with the review of a clients international trade Compliance Programme to address the legal, regulatory and risks in Tanzania.
- Assisting a US based financial institution in connection with obtaining a reissued certificate of title at Mbeya zonal land registry.
- Acting for the World Bank Group in connection with its project, “Doing Business 2020, Starting a Business Questionnaire, Tanzania” and “Doing Business 2021, Registering Property Questionnaire, Tanzania”, including undertaking extensive research on domestic legislation and policy affecting the Real property sector.
- Representing Vivo Energy Tanzania in the Tax Revenue Appeals Board in connection to assessments raised by the Tanzania Revenue Authority.
- Representing a Tanzanian trading company in connection with the tax inquiry in the affairs of the company.
- Assisting a Tanzanian branch of an international oil and gas corporation in the monthly tax compliances and representation in tax audits by Tanzania Revenue Authority.
- Advising a client in connection with the tax implication in a proposed restructuring plan and assisting in the tax planning.
- Representing MOGAS Tanzania, ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania, OIAG Tanzania, Bilila Lodge Investments, Ericsson AB Tanzania Branch and Zanzibar Telecom (Zantel), in tax disputes at the Tax Revenue Appeals Board and Tax Revenue Appeals Tribunal.
- Assisting a client in the monthly VAT computation and compliance.
- Advising a client on queries towards the chargeability of VAT in interconnection charges to local telecommunication companies.
- Assisting a mining service provider in connection with tax reconciliation in the PAYE and SDL.
- Assisting an international hospitality company in connection with tax health checks to identify compliance gaps, tax exposures and avenues for tax savings.
- Assisting a Tanzanian branch of an international oil and gas corporation in connection with its VAT refund claim, claimable amounts and procedures for filing refund applications as per the VAT Act.
*Some matters predate A&K Tanzania
6 / 8