Principal Associate | ALN Tanzania | A&K Tanzania
The Address, Ground Floor, 1 Bains Singh Avenue, Msasani PeninsulaP. O. Box 79651 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
P. O. Box 79651 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Telephone:+255 22 260 1151
Samiath is a Principal Associate at ALN Tanzania | Anjarwalla & Khanna and an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania.Her practice focuses on corporate, banking and finance, data protection and anti-money laundering matters. She is familiar with the on the ground processes required for company formation and related corporate governance and compliance issues. She has developed a core understanding of corporate governance issues and has built her experience in assisting and handling complex banking and finance transactions.
- The Tanganyika Law Society
- The East African Law Society
2014: Postgraduate Diploma, Law School Tanzania
2012: LL.B, University of Dar Es Salaam
April 2022- Date: Principal Associate, A&K Tanzania
Jun 2019 – Mar 2022: Associate, A&K Tanzania
Mar 2016 – May 2019: Associate, ATZ Law Chambers
Jan 2015 – Feb 2016: Junior Associate, ATZ Law Chambers
Sept 2014 – Nov 2014: Intern, ATZ Law Chambers
Jan 2013 – Dec 2013: Risk Management Officer, Equity Insurance Brokers Limited
- Sigfox in connection with requirements licenses required for introduction of Internet of Things (IoT) in Tanzania through radio frequences.
- Apple in connection with the implementation of iTunes U and iTunes Music in Tanzania, age rating requirements in Tanzania
- TikTok in connection with data protection
- YouTube services in connection with the legal and regulatory requirements and restrictions in Tanzania as offshore and onshore entities.
- Alibaba in connection with the implemantation of Alipay in Tanzania
- YouTube in connection with the Copyright and Neighbouring Act regarding people’s information they hold.
Banking and Finance
- Various financing structures for International Finance Corporation, Citibank Tanzania, Stanbic Bank Tanzania, Credit Suisse, ABSA, Exim Bank Tanzania.
- Citibank Tanzania in connection with annual reviews and restructuring (since 2015) of the finance documents such as guarantee (personal and corporate), overdraft facility agreements, term loan facility agreement, foreign exchange transactions agreements, stock monitoring agreements, post shipment loan agreement, pledge and assignment agreement, letter of interest and indicative term sheets.
- Various clients in connection with restructuring of loans
- Citibank Tanzania (since 2015 to date) in connection with Quarterly legislative review of all laws affecting banking business in Tanzania.
- Various clients in connection with Escrow arrangements and drafting escrow agreements – accounts opened with Barclays Bank and Citibank.
- Ecobank Transnational Incorporated Bank and Equity Group Holdings in connection with proposed acquisition in African Banking Corporation Tanzania including, banking regulatory and compliance reviews for various transactions.
- Review and undertaking of gap analysis in relation to the Banking regulations issued in 2008 and 2005 against regulations issued in 2014.
- Citibank in connection with reviewing of account opening documents and advising on missing details with the laws.
- Aceli Africa in connection with proposed financing to small scale farms in East Africa.
- Reviewing and drafting security documents including pledge agreements, charge over accounts, charge over shares, mortgages, debentures in respect of various facilities including the following:
- Credit Suisse in connection with loans to the Ministry of Finance of Tanzania for the years 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
- International Finance Corporation in connection with the loans to Kioo and CRJE Tanzania.
- China Development Bank in connection with the loan to the Ministry of Finance of Tanzania.
- Standard Chartered Bank in connection with a USD 100 million facility to Dangote Industries.
- Citibank Tanzania in connection with a USD 300 million facility to Said Salim Bakhressa.
- Citibank Tanzania and Citibank N.A. Dubai in connection with the USD. 8.7 million to Nyanza Bottling Company.
- Citibank Tanzania in connection with review of revolving product facility and revolving working capital facility provided to Mohammed Enterprises Tanzania (MeTL).
- Citibank Tanzania and Exim Bank Tanzania in connection with a TZS 408 billion facility to TANECSO.
- Citibank Tanzania in connection with a USD. 3 million overdraft facility and USD. 500 thousand standby letters of credit for Mantrac Tanzania Limited.
- Standard Bank of South Africa in connection with facilities to Maweni Limestone.
- The Bank of New York Mellon, London Branch and Wilmington Trust (London) facilities to Avanti Communications Group
- Standard Bank (Mauritius) in connection with facilities to Capital Drilling – secured by share pledges by its subsidiary companies in Tanzania and pledge and assignment over a contract with respect to services to a mining company in Tanzania.
- ABSA Bank (Mauritius) in connection with facilities to Agritex (foreign entity – charging inventory in Tanzania).
- Undertaking extensive review of the payment system laws enacted in 2016
- American Express, Mastercard, Alipay (by Alibaba), Crown Agent Bank, Xpress Money and World Remitt in connection with electronic money issuance services in Tanzania:
- Airtel and Tigo in connection with regulatory review in relation to payment system and electronic money issuance.
Company Secretarial Services
- Toyota Tanzania, Citibank Tanzania, Star Infrastructure Development Tanzania, W-Stores Company, Karimjee Jivanjee, M-Kopa Solar Tanzania, Mayfair Insurance in connection with provision of advice on corporate compliance, company formation, structures and registration, attending meeting board and shareholders meetings, assisting in preparing notice to the meetings, proxy, minutes and relevant resolutions
- Suppliers to the mining companies in Tanzania in connection with requirements for preparation and submission of local content Reports to the Mining Commission.
- Prime Fuels Tanzania in connection with requirements for tenders in mining sector.
- Uranium One Ince in connection of internal corporate structure in line with the Mining laws of Tanzania.
- DEG (Deutsche Investitions-Und Entwicklungsgesellschaft MBH), CDC Group and PROPARCO (Société De Promotion Et De Participation Pour La Coopération Economique) in connection with the Bank of Tanzania and the Fair Competition Commission’s approvals and notifications with respect to transfer of indirect shares in a bank.
- Sanitas Hospital in connection acquisition by Suriya Capital.
- Zantel in connection acquisition by Millicom
- Acquisition of shares affecting Nomad Tanzania.
- Britam Insurance Company in connection with acquisition by Plum
2 / 9