Tabitha Joy Raore is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a Senior Associate in the Litigation Department of Anjarwalla & Khanna LLP, Nairobi, Kenya. In her practice, she advises on local and international commercial arbitration disputes and represents parties before the Chief Magistrate Courts, High Courts of Kenya, Court of Appeal and tribunals in Kenya on corporate commercial litigation, intellectual property, employment, probate, land and human rights law matters. She has contributed to the International Arbitration Review and a previous member of the Law Society of Kenya’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee.
Tabitha is an Africa Representative for the International Commercial Chamber Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF) 2021 – 2023 term. She is a beneficiary of the Association of Young Arbitrators (AYA) 2nd Mentorship Programme 2020 and assists the Africa Arbitration Academy with its initiatives. She is a member of the youth-led Africa In The Moot Organisation, Head Coach to the University of Nairobi Law School’s Willem C. VIS Moot team 2021 – 2022 and Academic Training Co-ordinator for Africa in the Moot.
- Law Society of Kenya
2013: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2010: International Legal Studies (LL.B, Second Class Honours (Upper Division)), the University of Southampton and the University of Hong Kong
Jan 2020 – Date: Senior Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2019 – Dec 2019: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jul 2014 – Dec 2018: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jul 2012 – Jun 2014: Trainee Lawyer, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
- Acting for the sponsors of three separate geothermal power projects in relation to geothermal power projects at the Menengai Geothermal Steam Field (Great Rift Valley) which in the aggregate will generate 100MW with an aggregate project cost of approximately United States Dollars 250 million.
- Acting for the sponsors (being, amongst others, Africa Infrastructure Investment Fund, General Electric, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) and the International Finance Corporation) of a 100MW wind powered generation facility in Kipeto, Kajiado including drafting and reviewing the power purchase agreement with KPLC, the Government of Kenya’s support letter and handling the application for the Electric Power Generation License.
- Reviewing power purchase agreements with the Kenya Power Lightning Company Limited (KPLC) for the sponsors of a wind powered generation facility set to produce approximately 90MW of power in Mpeketoni, Lamu of the coast of Kenya.
- Providing regulatory advice and assisting with due diligence investigations for Alten Solar Farms B.V in connection with their investment in a solar power plant.
- Assisting with regulatory advice for Africa Oil Corp and group of companies in relation to Production Sharing Contracts for oil exploration in Turkana.
- Reviewing aircraft finance lease for AWAS Aviation Trading Limited in connection with the sale and lease back transactions of three B787-8 Dreamliners with Kenya Airways.
- Part of a team contributing to various aviation magazines and article, providing regular regulatory advice on aviation matters and reviewing transaction documents in relation to the purchase and leasing of aircrafts.
- Assisting with various due diligence investigations for a number of investors including Gardaworld Consulting Middle East Limited, Hemingways Holdings International Limited as well as undertaking legal due diligence for: South African firm Consol Glass Proprietary with respect to their investment in East African Breweries Limited (EABL)’s subsidiary Central Glass Industries and providing regulatory advice on various aspects of the transaction; Accion International, Velocity Capital and Progression Capital Africa Limited with respect to their investment in Cellulant Corporation Limited, the mobile commerce network operator which is also the holding company of companies registered in over 8 African jurisdictions; and Actis with respect to its investment in AutoXpress, East Africa’s leading tyre distributor.
- Part of a team providing pro-bono legal advice on various issues to the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
- Acting for a global cement producer in an arbitration concerning a contractual dispute worth United States Dollars 1 million.
- Advising Spanco Raps Kenya in a landmark employment dispute involving Airtel Kenya and employees who were transferred from Airtel Kenya to a business processing outsourcing firm.
- Advising global pharmaceutical company Norvatis Pharma Services Inc, on various employment law matters, reviewing contracts and its employment handbook.
- Advising Bloomberg LP on local labour law matters in relations to the global review of its employment policies.
- Acting for the non-governmental organisation Farm Africa in an employment dispute.
- Advising a leading telecommunications provider with respect to its application for a telecommunications license in Kenya and assisting with post-licensing issues.
- Providing regulatory advice on the telecommunications sector to various clients.
- Advising a leading telecommunications provider with respect to its application for a telecommunications license in Kenya.
- Reviewing contracts for Chinese broadcaster, CCTV, in relations to its setting up of operations in Kenya.
15 / 69