Valerie Bisasur is a Partner at BLC Robert in the Banking and Finance practice.
Valerie routinely acts for local and international banks, DFIs, project sponsors and financial institutions in structuring and financing various projects locally and internationally. She has developed specific expertise in funds’ financing, sustainable finance and secured bonds. She also regularly advises on banking regulatory aspects of the setting up, operations, mergers or acquisitions of banks.
Valerie is responsible for the publication of BLC Robert’s periodical newsletter “Banking & Finance Insights” and she is the firm’s coordinator for pro-bono activities notably through Trust Law Connect (a member of the Thomson Reuters Foundation).
- Mauritius Law Society
2008: Sworn in as Attorney at Law (Solicitor) at the Supreme Court of Mauritius
2006-2007: Council of Legal Education, Attorney at Law Vocational Course, Mauritius
2005: Maitrise En Droit, Mention Droit Des Affaires, Universite Des Sciences Sociales Toulouse I, France
1999-2001: Diplôme universitaire technique – Buisness Administration, Universite Paul Sabitier, Toulouse III, France
- The firm’s newsletter, ‘Banking & Finance Insights’
- Recognised as IFLR1000 Women Leader 2021
- Ranked as Highly Regarded Lawyer by IFLR1000 in 2021
2019 – Date: Partner, BLC Robert
2008 – 2018: Senior Associate, BLC Robert
2005 –2007: Legal Assistant and Article, Etude Guy Rivalland
- Adviser to Agence Francaise de Developpement in a sovereign loan to the State of Mauritius to support to budget implementation program of the Mauritian government, including to provide support linked to the impact of Covid19 in the jurisdiction.
- Adviser on a USD 2.7 billion bond structuring, including regulatory implications in connection to issue/dealing in securities under Mauritius law and putting in place the security package.
- Adviser to Cape Biologix Technologies and Cape Bio Pharms in the structuring of financing from European Investment Bank for the construction of a production unit in Mauritius to produce company the plant protein used as reagent in quick detection kits for Covid-19 and endemic diseases in Africa (in particular HIV, Ebola, dengue and yellow fever).
- Adviser to Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Cooperation Economique S.A. (PROPARCO) and Deg – Deutsche Investitions – Und Entwicklungsgesellschaft Mbh (DEG) in a USD 65 million loan to the Mauritius Commercial Bank Limited to finance its support program to support Mauritian businesses (especially SMEs) affected by the Covid-19 crisis.
- Advisor to a major international bank in connection to the sale of its entire shareholding in a local bank.
- Advisor to a local bank forming part of an international group in connection to the regulatory aspects of its deregistration as a bank in Mauritius.
- Advising on secured bonds (including listed bonds and other debt instruments). Regularly intervenes on funds’ financing transactions.
- Advising various institutional investors, development banks and international organisations in connection to the financing of development projects in Africa.
- Advising a leading African energy company and independent power producer on a USD 550 million financing structured by syndication of international banks.
- Advising a consortium of international banks in connection to the financing of pipelines and fuel storage facilities in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Advising on the setting up of the local branch for one of the major European insurance brokerage companies.
- Advising a major conglomerate in connection to the financing of the acquisition of a major stake in one of the leading chain of hospital operators in India.
- Advising a leading international private and investment bank in connection to the regulatory implications of its activities in Mauritius.
- Advised a multinational petroleum company in connection to the financing of the acquisition of companies in various African countries including Mauritius to the value of USD 1 billion.
- Advising a major French development bank on the structuring of three “green” financing lines with local banks.
- Advising international and local syndicated lenders on the financing of the first wind farm project in Mauritius.
- Advising on the regulatory aspects of implementing a Social Impact Bond in Mauritius.
- Advising major South African banks on the financing of real estate projects and mining projects across Africa.
- Advising a major international North-American bank in connection to the acquisition of equity in a local bank.
- Advisor to a major financial services holding company in connection to its holdings in various banking structures in sub-Saharan African countries.
- Advisor to a leading local bank in connection to the financing of activities of a major African telecommunication group of companies.
- Regular advisor of a European development bank on its various credit lines to Mauritian public authorities.
- Advisor to a major international bank in taking security interests over shares of an entity listed both on the Mauritius Stock Exchange and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- Advised on the debt funding to a major South African group for the acquisition of a floating dock and the construction of a docking quay in Durban harbour.
5 / 24