Principal Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 (0) 703 032 000
Winnie Oduor is a Principal Associate at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna and a member of the Banking, Finance and Insolvency department. Her practice currently focuses on banking, finance and insolvency law. She had previously worked at Bowmans for 6 years in the Mergers and Acquisitions practice group, before joining the firm in March 2022.
Winnie has experience acting for local and international clients on a broad range of finance transactions and corporate matters including structured finance, equity and debt funding, banking law, taking securities, digital lending, property law, receivables finance, cross-border mergers and acquisitions (including the regulatory aspects related thereto),legal due diligence and legal compliance audits.
- Law Society of Kenya
2017: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2014: LL.B, Bachelor of Laws (LLB), University of Nairobi
March 2022 – Date: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2018 – Feb 2022: Associate, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
Jan 2016 – Dec 2017: Pupil/Legal Assistant, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
- Advising various clients in connection with obtaining a Digital Lenders licence in Kenya and on licensing requirements for Payment Service Providers.
- Acting for Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank (TDB) and SunFunder in connection with their proposed financing to d.light Mauritius holding company through a syndicated facility to fund the financing of solar radio lanterns.
- Acting for KfW IPEX-Bank in connection with its proposed financing of a Kenyan Government state corporation for the acquisition of equipment.
- Acting for Proto Energy, a company that provides high-quality Bulk LPG gas ideal for industrial and commercial consumers, in connection with the grant and variation/refinancing of USD 23 million facility by a bank in Kenya.
- Acting for EMFC as lead counsel in Africa to a listed entity seeking financing to establish wireless telecommunication infrastructure in various jurisdictions in Africa.
- Acting for Citibank on the advancement of Sustainable Financing of USD 40 million to a telecommunication company in Kenya, including drafting and negotiation of a facility agreement involving the use of Term SOFR as the applicable reference rate.
- Acting for Absa Bank Kenya in connection with its financing of KES 3 billion to a telecommunication company in Kenya.
- Acting for various lenders generally in connection with the perfection of securities as relates to financing of working capital, asset financing, property acquisitions, collateral management and the subordination of shareholders and/or directors loans.
Prior to joining A&K:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Conducting due diligence for Baggins AG and Lightrock in connection with its proposed in the acquisition of a stake in various subsidiaries of African Spirit Group in Kenya, Tanzania Mauritius and South Africa.
- Acting for Rubis Energie in its acquisition of the assets and business of Gulf Energy Holdings and its shares in Gulf Energy.
- Acting for Starlight Power Utility in its proposed acquisition of 50% interest in Premier Solar Group Africa.
- Acting for KEG Holdings in connection with the potential auction sale of all or part of its subsidiaries.
- Conducting due diligence review of the operations of M-KOPA Solar in various jurisdictions in Eastern Africa for purposes of procuring financing.
- Acting for Ascent Capital and Proparco in connection with their acquisition of up to 80% stake in Diani Beach Hospital.
- Conducting due diligence for Kibo Capital Partners in its proposed investment in Riara Group of Schools.
- Acting for Kenafric Industries in connection with its acquisition of the business and assets of Britannia Foods.
- Acting for Adenia Partners in connection with its acquisition of Quick Mart and Tumaini Supermarket chains.
- Compliance Legal Audit on East African Breweries and Bank of Kigali in accordance with the Capital Markets Authority requirements for listed entities.
- Advising the Investment Fund for Developing Countries (IFU), in connection with its financing to Sidian Bank.
- Advising Star Bright Holdings and Marginpar B.V in connection with a USD 12.2 million term, revolving and derivatives facility advanced to it by Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
- Providing legal advice on finance structuring (including structuring, negotiating, drafting, and perfecting finance documents and Kenyan law-governed security documents) to prominent organizations including The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, IFC, Citibank Europe PLC, Nedbank, and Stanbic Bank Kenya.
- Advising Factor Impact and Stichting Medical Credit Fund (Netherlands) on receivables financing in Kenya.
- Advising Citibank Europe in connection with its USD 15 million term loan facility to an entity in Kenya and in connection with the variation of its deed of priority with Stanbic Bank Kenya relating to obligations owed to each of them by said company.
- Acting for various lenders generally in relation to the perfection of securities as relates to financing of working capital, asset financing, property acquisitions, collateral management and the subordination of shareholder and/or director loans.
- Providing advice to various clients in connection with regulatory requirements relating to fintech and e-payments in Kenya.
Insolvency and Distressed M&A
- Advising NCBA Bank Kenya in connection with the appointment of administrators over two distressed corporate debtors in Kenya.
- Acting for Kenafric Biscuits in connection with its proposed acquisition of assets of a Kenyan company in administration.
64 / 75