Agnes Nicole Gichuhi
Partner | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 20 364 0000
Nicole is a Partner at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna and has been with the firm for over eight years. She represents some of the leading players in the real estate industry on a full range of transactions including high value real estate disposals and acquisitions, real estate litigation, compliance and regulatory issues, due diligence, project land and tax structuring for both local and international clients.
She is currently developing a cross border real estate practice and leveraging her experience to support clients who are expanding their real estate portfolios in other jurisdictions including Rwanda, Djibouti and Madagascar.
Her experience also includes advising clients on land use planning, zoning and user restrictions, environmental matters involving properties in Kenya.
While her primary focus is in real estate and construction, she is multi-disciplinary with experience in banking and finance (including Shariah compliant finance).
- Law Society of Kenya (LSK)
- Women in Real Estate (WIRE)
- Kenya Property Developers Association (KPDA)
2013: Kenya School of Law, Postgraduate Diploma,
2011: University of Nairobi, Bachelor of Law, LL.B
Jan 2023 – Date: Partner, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2019 – Dec 2022: Senior Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2017 – Dec 2018: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Apr 2014 – Dec 2016: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2013 – Nov 2013: Pupil, Muciimi Mbaka & Company Advocates
Apr 2011 – Jul 2011: Legal Research Intern, United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN/DESA).
Aug 2010 – Nov 2010: Legal Intern, Kilonzo & Company Advocates
Jan 2008 – Dec 2009: Legal Assistant, G.N. Gichong’i Gichuhi & Company Advocates
Awards & Accolades
- Nicole is ‘highly rated’ by Legal 500 (2020 – 2022), in the commercial, corporate and M&A categories
- Since 2019 she has been recognized in renown global directories including Legal 500 and Chambers Global where she has been described as a Rising Star and an Associate to Watch
- Acting for Sarit Centre, one of Kenya’s largest shopping malls, in connection with the expansion of the mall to include more retail and commercial space, including providing tax and lease structuring advice; drafting heads of terms, agreements for lease, leases, license agreements, renewals, guarantees; preparing, negotiating and overseeing the stamping and registration of leases.
- Acting for Full Circle Africa in connection with the acquisition of Woodside Properties, a bespoke residential development housing the British Army in Kenya.
- Representing Impact North (KE), a partnership between Actis and Improvon Group, one of South Africa’s most established logistics and warehouse property specialists, in connection with the USD 110 million industrial park and Grade A warehousing developed on a 103-acre parcel of land in Northlands, Ruiru.
- Acting for EH Venture Capital Rwanda in connection with the acquisition of property and the proposed development of a financial centre in Kigali Rwanda including advising on, and drafting and negotiating the investment agreement and negotiating the legal ancd commercial terms in relation to the leasing arrangments with the principal offtaker.
- Acting for Ruaraka Diversified Investments Limited, GC Residential Limited and GC Retail Limited, investee companies of Actis, a leading private equity fund, in connection with a USD 250 million integrated mixed-use development that comprises of a 500,000 square feet retail mall with over 100 stores including restaurants, bars, cafes and entertainment facilities and a cinema and 215 residential units including drafting and negotiating the agreements for lease, sale agreements, long-term leases, tenancy agreements, tenant-purchase agreements, agency and management agreements.
- Acting for Kasarani Investment Holdings Ltd, an investee company of Actis, in connection with the acquisition of a parcel of land adjacent to Garden City Estate and the land structuring to accommodate the intended uses in the USD 540 million integrated mixed-use development. Her involvement includes advising Kasarani Commercial Developments Limited (KCDL), in connection with the development of the Grade A Office Park and the conclusion of leases over office spaces with multinational companies, including Kenya Breweries Ltd, a subsidiary of Diageo and CCI Kenya.
- Acting for a developer in connection with Two Rivers Lifestyle Mall including negotiating the retail and office leases with tenants.
- Representing Paramount Chief Estate in connection with the development and sale of medium-cost housing in Edenville along Kiambu Road.
- Acting for Ola Energy Kenya in connection with their expansion and acquisition of petrol station sites.
- Representing Actae Development, in connection with Lantana Galu, a luxury home development in Diani.
- Advising a client in connection with the Kipeto Wind Energy Project including reviewing easements, restrictive agreements, relocation agreements and settlement agreements and various land-related issues affecting the development of the wind power project.
- Advising various local banks on Islamic Finance including structuring and drafting documents for the various Islamic finance products to comply with Kenyan law.
- Acting for Ecobank in connection with its loan facility to an Indian corporation for the construction of power transmission lines along the Kenya/Uganda border, including drafting of the security documents and liaising with counsel from relevant other jurisdictions on the structure and non-Kenyan legal issues.
- Acting for Ecobank Kenya in connection with proposed financing to a European entity with respect to an infrastructure project, including advising on documentation and preparing the security documents.
- Acting for various banks in structuring, drafting and perfection of securities including charges, debentures, non-recourse invoice discounting and assignment agreements and advising them on related legal issues.
19 / 77