Alex is a Principal Associate at ALN Uganda | MMAKS Advocates, one of the leading law firms in Uganda. Alex works with the employment and Litigation teams, and he handles litigation matters arising out of commercial disputes.
Alex is actively involved in the employment practice. He routinely advises on an array of employment matters, including but not limited to restructurings, review of employee handbooks, termination, and dismissal of employees. He handles several employment-related matters before the Industrial Court and Court of Appeal of Uganda. He has participated in several employment law webinars, podcasts and conferences organised by the Employment Law Alliance and Uganda Law Society.
Alex graduated with a Bachelor of Laws degree Makerere University and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre, Uganda.
Uganda Law Society
East Africa Law Society
Uganda Representative, Employment Law Alliance
Industrial Court (Uganda) Users Committee
2017: Admitted to the Ugandan Bar.
2016: Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda.
2015: Bachelor of Laws (Hons.), Makerere University.
2023- Date: Principal Associate: MMAKS Advocates
2015 – 2023: Associate: MMAKS Advocates
Apr – Jul 2015: Clerkship Student: MMAKS Advocates
Jul – Aug 2013: Internship Student: Bank of Uganda
- Acting for the Bank of Uganda, the central bank of Uganda wholly owned by the government, in connection with an employment suit filed by a section of employees seeking benefits and compensation for alleged unlawful termination and early or forced retirement.
- Acting for Oryx Oil Uganda Limited, a subsidiary of Addax and Oryx Group Limited, in connection with successfully defending our client in an employment claim seeking compensation of approximately USD 5 million for alleged unlawful termination of employment.
- Acting for Kansai Plascon East Africa , one of East Africa’s largest paint manufacturers, in connection with the employment aspects of their acquisition of Kansai Paint Co. Limited, a Japanese manufacturer.
- Acting for Masstores (Pty) Ltd and Massmart Holdings Ltd, South African conglomerates and the shareholders in Game Discount World (Uganda) Ltd, in connection with employment related implications of their proposed sale of their entire shareholding in Game Discount World to a third party.
- Acting for Absa Bank Uganda, Stanbic Bank Uganda, Uganda National Bureau of Standards and Uganda Breweries Limited, in connection with successfully defending unlawful termination suits before the Industrial Court of Uganda.
- Advising Uganda Breweries Limited, a subsidiary of East African Breweries Limited (EABL), the region’s leading beverage alcohol company in which Diageo is a majority shareholder, in connection with a tax disputewith the Uganda Revenue Authority in relation to the application of the East African Customs Management Act, 2004.
- Acting for Intel, an American multinational corporation and technology company, in connection with an intellectual property suit seeking to restrain Intel Computers Limited, a Ugandan company, from using Intel’s intellectual property in relation to a copyright infringement.
- Acting for Nokia in connection with a dispute against the Uganda Registration Services Bureau, a semi-autonomous government agency, and a local player, in relation to an intellectual propety infringement on the ‘Nokia’ trademark.
- Acting for Centenary Bank, a commercial bank in Uganda licensed by the Bank of Uganda, in connection with successfully defending a suit filed by Kasule Kalule, trading as Modern Design Services, in relation to the applicant’s claim of ownership of the bank’s corporate logo.
- Acting for SCD Uganda Limited, the manufacturers of Darling Hair Products, in connection with a trademark infingement of their ‘KINKY’ brand by a third party.
- Acting for 12 commercial banks in connection with a copyright infringement suit where the plaintiffs allege that the Banks infringed on their intellectual property by rolling out agent-assisted financial services and using Point of Sale-based technology platforms for agency banking.
- Acting as junior counsel in connection with a suit filed by Electro-Maxx Limited, the first indigenous privately-owned power generating company in Uganda, against Absa Bank Uganda, a commercial bank in Uganda, in relation to orders sought inter alia that a USD 34,730,000 facility advanced to it by the Bank was illegal and unenforceable.
- Acting for 30 commercial banks and the Uganda Bankers Associaton in connection with a petition against the Uganda Revenue Authority seeking orders that certain sections of the Tax Procedures Code Act, derogate from the right to a fair hearing. The petition was in relation to notices issued by the Uganda Revenue Authority requiring the banks to furnish the tax authority with details of all bank accounts held by them for the 2 year period between 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2017.
- Acting for various commercial banks in connection with the recovery of secured and unsecured assets.
- Acting for Uganda National Bureau of Standards in connection with various suits against diverse clients in relation to the importation of counterfeit and substandard goods into Uganda.
- Acting for Uganda National Examinations Board in connection with various suits involving examination malpractice, falsification of results and defending actions of judicial review.
16 / 23