Atiq S. Anjarwalla
Managing Partner | ALN UAE | Anjarwalla Collins & Haidermota
Saaha Offices - Block C, Office No. 501A, The Palace Downtown, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
P. O. Box 58553 Dubai United Arab Emirates
Telephone:+971 4 4529091
Atiq Anjarwalla is a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales and also an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
Atiq has over 39 years of practice experience and focuses principally on family succession and estate planning for High Net Worth clients, mergers and acquisitions, general corporate advisory and hospitality projects. He also handles tax planning and offshore structures for High Net Worth clients. Atiq has assisted many international investors setting up in Africa.
Atiq is a recognised speaker and has conducted a number of conferences and seminars hosted by the IFC, Financial Times, Academy & Finance and the STEP organisation. Atiq has been interviewed by Emirates News – Dubai One and The National newspaper.
Atiq has been consistently rated as a leading lawyer in the UAE by various international legal guides, including Chambers Global, Legal 500, IFLR1000, PLC Which Lawyer? and Best Lawyers and has been nominated as a leading project finance practitioner in the Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Project Finance Lawyers.
- Law Society of Kenya
- Law Society of the Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Registered as a Legal Consultant with the Dubai Legal Affairs Department
1993: Post graduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
1984: Master of Law, University of Cambridge, England
1982: Bachelor of Law, University of Hull, England
2010 – Date: Managing Partner, Anjarwalla Collins & Haidermota
1993 – 2010: Senior Partner, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Kenya
1991-1992: Solicitor, CMS Cameron McKenna, England
1987-1990: Solicitor, Slaughter & May, England
1986: Assistant Solicitor, Beale and Co, England
Awards & Recognitions
- Atiq is consistently ranked by Chambers Global and recognized for his expertise in Kenyan law matters.
- Atiq is a ‘Highly Regarded’ lawyer by IFLR1000
- Atiq has ‘exceptional knowledge of both local and international commercial law’ – Chambers Global.
- Atiq has also been recognised as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global in the UAE market.
“First Name is an excellent, smart and quick-thinking lawyer.” – Chambers Global 2022
A client highlights Name’s “outstanding understanding of the FinTech space.” – Chambers Global 2022, Fntech
Name is noted for his experience in capital markets. – Chambers Global 2015.
- Acting as an international counsel in connection with the acquisition by the Chemi & Cotex Group of a majority equity stake in Cosmar East Africa Business Share Company.
- Acting for Exim Bank (Tanzania) in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Imperial Bank (Uganda), now known as Exim Bank (Uganda) from Bank of Uganda.
- Advising the Shareholders of Exim Bank (Tanzania) in connection with the negotiations and drafting of the shareholders agreement.
- Advising Ghassan Aboud Group in connection with the setting up of an automotive business in East Africa, a manufacturing plant in Kenya and a distribution business in Kenya and Uganda, including providing legal and tax advisory services.
- Advising Greenoaks Global Holdings in connection with the sale of its majority equity stake in a life insurance company and a general insurance company in Rwanda.
- Acting as international counsel to the MAC Group in connection with a proposed investment in the Tanzania life insurance sector by way of a joint venture with a South Africa-based financial services company that is listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- Advising the Meydan Group on the hotel management agreement and technical services agreement with the operators of a new luxury hotel and serviced residences complex in Dubai.
- Acting for the Meydan Group on its negotiation of “white label” hotel management contracts for two well-known luxury hotel properties located in Dubai.
- Advising Oman Trading International as international counsel in connection with the acquisition of a significant minority shareholding in Hass Group a petroleum company which operates in over seventeen (17) jurisdictions in East Africa.
- Advising the sponsors of Raha Group, a leading internet service provider in Tanzania, with respect to the sale of the Raha Group to Liquid Telecommunication Holdings, a subsidiary of Liquid Telecom Group.
- Acting for Riley Packaging (Uganda), a large East African family owned business, in connection with the USD 46 million sale of their packaging manufacturing business in East Africa.
- Advising Tranzum Companies and Services, a Pakistan-based e- commerce platform, on various ownership structures, including setting up a free zone company in the UAE, transfer pricing, tax and importation duty.
- Acting for the Glenbeigh Group, in connection with a M&A transactions, a Shari’a complaint financing, sale of property and construction and development of a 6,839 square meter warehouse in the United Arab Emirates.
- Drafting new laws for the government of Somaliland in the financial sector, including a new Central Bank Act, Islamic Banking Act, Anti-Money Laundering Act, Money Remittance Act and National Payment Systems Act.
- Advising Bloomberg in connection with the proposed launch of the Bloomberg Professional Service providing financial market information, data, news and analytics to broker-dealers, institutional investors and other professional investors, including advising on capital markets and telecommunications regulatory issues and enforceability of their standard form contracts.
- Acting for Advanced Global Trading (AGT), a UAE based carbon credits trader, in connection with the establishment of AGT’s business in the UAE, including advising on the structuring of its carbon credits trading platform arrangement with customers as well as regulatory advice on UAE laws and corporate structuring and shareholder matters.
- Acting for Gulf African Bank, the first fully Shariah compliant bank in Kenya, in connection with setting up Shariah compliant products for the bank.
- Advising China Central Television (CCTV), the major state television broadcaster in mainland China, in connection with its establishment of an Africa regional hub in Kenya.
1 / 5