Principal Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 20 364 0000
+254 0703 032 000
Carla Mwalabu is a Principal Associate at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna and a member of the Real Estate and Construction department. She focuses on real estate law and property development. She represents residential and commercial developers on all aspects of real estate development with particular emphasis on the acquisition or sale of properties, due diligence and negotiating the requisite contracts.
Her experience also includes advising clients on land use, planning, zoning and user restrictions, environmental law, due diligence and compliance matters involving properties throughout Kenya.
- Law Society of Kenya
2016: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2014: Bachelors of Law (LL.B, Hons.) University of Nairobi
April 2023 – Date: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna
2022 – March 2023: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna
2019 – 2022: Senior Associate, A.F Gross Advocate
2017 – 2019: Associate, A.F Gross Advocate
2014 – 2017: Legal Trainee, A.F Gross Advocate
- Advising a large pharmaceutical manufacturing company in connection with the acquisition of property in an Export Processing Zone.
- Advising in connection with the acquisition of a multimillion-dollar commercial development by an international religious organisation.
- Advising in connection with the acquisition of a nature conservancy by one of the largest global environmental organisation.
- Drafting and review of various commercial contracts.
- Acting for various private and corporate clients in connection with real estate purchases and sales including carrying out due diligence, negotiating sale agreements and advising clients on various issues touching on land laws and the digitisation of lands records by the Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning.
- Conducting a real estate due diligence for a venture capitalist firm seeking in connection with an investement in a company operating a data centre in Kenya.
- Conducting a real estate due diligence for a foreign investor in connection with the acquisition of shares in a large supermarket chain in Kenya.
- Conducting a real estate asses due diligence review for an international downstream petroleum company with operations in Kenya.
- Advising on various community land matters.
- Advising various clients in connection with Ardhisasa, the online land resource management platform rolled out by Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning in collaboration with the National Land Commission in 2021 aimed at creating convenience in conducting land transactions including liaising with the Ardhisasa team on various queries, assisting clients to create personal accounts on the Ardhisasa portal and conducting various land transactions on the Ardhisasa portal.
- Advising on the process of migrating all the parcels of land from the repealed land registration statutes to a unitary regime under the Land Registration Act 2012 as guided by guided by the Constitution of Kenya 2010, the Land Registration Act No. 3 of 2012, the Land Registration (Registration Units) Order 2017, Land Registration (Electronic Transactions) Regulations 2020, the Sectional Properties Act 2020, the Survey (Electronic Cadastre Transactions) Regulations 2020, the Physical Planning Act and the Land Registration Regulations 2017.
- Advising on capital gains tax exemptions and tax implications in in connection with the transfer of assets to a legatee of an estate.
- Acting for various banks in connection with structuring, drafting and perfection of securities including charges, debentures, assignment agreements and advising them on related legal issues.
61 / 74