Devvrat is a Partner at ALN UAE | Anjarwalla Collins & Haidermota. He has been practicing law for over 10 years and regularly advises HNIs, UHNIs and family-owned businesses on succession planning, next generational transfer of wealth and corporate governance matters. Devvrat also advises corporate entities on all aspects of corporate law including new business set ups, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and shareholder related matters (including dispute resolution). He has advised investors and companies within the hospitality, banking and trading industries, among others, on corporate commercial transactions within jurisdictions such as UAE, India and various African countries (including Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda).
Devvrat has been ranked in the High Net Worth Guide for 2021 and 2022 of Chambers and Partners for Private Wealth Law – Kenya (Expertise Based Abroad). He has also been recognized as a Rising Leader by the Private Client Global Elite directory for 2021 and 2022.
He is an advocate of the High Courts of India, member of the Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa and a registered Legal Consultant with the Dubai Ruler’s Court. He holds a Bachelor of Legal Sciences (B.L.S), and a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) from Government Law College, University of Mumbai.
- Advocate, High Courts of India
- Registered as a Legal Consultant with the Dubai Ruler’s Court
- Member, Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa
- Affiliate Member, STEP Arabia
- Bachelor of Legal Sciences, University of Mumbai, India
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Mumbai, India
2023 – Date: Partner, Anjarwalla Collins & Haidermota Legal Consultants, Dubai, UAE
2018 – 2022: Senior Associate, Anjarwalla Collins & Haidermota Legal Consultants, Dubai, UAE
2014 – 2017: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla Collins & Haidermota Legal Consultants, Dubai, UAE
2012 – 2014: Associate, Desai & Diwanji, Mumbai, India
- Acting for the shareholders of an established East Africa FMCG Group, with business operations in Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda and Zambia, in connection with their proposed divestment from the business through an auction sale, including coordinating and consolidating legal vendor due diligence undertaken on the operating companies, providing transaction advice, drafting and negotiating the transaction agreements and overseeing the procurement of merger approvals required for the transaction from several regional and national competition authorities.
- Acting for CPAS Management DWC, a leading document storage and management service provider and the UAE affiliate of Glenbeigh Group, an Irish diversified business group, in connection with the acquisition of its entire shareholding by Iron Mountain, an American enterprise information management services company listed on the New York Stock Exchange, including drafting and negotiating the transaction documents, the share purchase agreement, Shari’ah compliant lease agreements and certain ancillary documents; and advising on relevant procedures to be followed for completing the transactions including procuring regulatory approvals for the transactions.
- Advising the shareholders of a group of companies operating in the automotive service industry across Eastern Africa (including in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda) in connection with an auction sale of the Group, including overall coordination of legal work streams for the transaction, undertaking a vendor legal due diligence on the Group, drafting and negotiating transaction documents, supervising and obtaining relevant regulatory approvals and third-party consents, and assisting with satisfaction of conditions precedents and coordinating completion formalities across all jurisdictions in which the Group has operations.
- Advising a client in the manufacturing and industrial sector in connection with his wealth and succession planning matters, including establishing new purpose trust structures in the Cayman Islands, amending existing trust structures in Guernsey and Switzerland, drafting of complex wills in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and the United States of America and structuring ownership of property investments in the United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom.
- Advising a family in the manufacturing and industrial sector in connection with their wealth and succession planning matters, including advising on UK wills and bank accounts, risks of Sharia’h in the UAE and the application of forced heirship rights in the UAE and Ethiopia.
- Advising A wealthy individual in the international oil and gas industry in connection with the individual’s offshore wealth and succession planning matters, including obtaining tax advice, establishing two offshore trusts for the client’s assets, and advising on changes in the client’s tax residency, including the creation of clean capital trusts.
- Advising a wealthy individual in connection with establishing a foundation with RAK ICC to hold assets in the UAE and for the income generated to be distributed to charities selected by the council of members.
- Acting for a wealthy family that has a diversified portfolio comprising pharmaceutical manufacturing, cosmetics and plastics manufacturing, food and beverages, insurance brokerage and real estate investments in connection with the restructuring of their existing shareholding and the family’s succession planning and corporate governance plans.
- Advising the UAE affiliate of an Irish diversified business group in connection with the sale of the entire shareholding in one of the leading document storage and management service providers in the UAE to a company listed on the New York Stock Exchange and its subsidiaries.
- Acting as lead counsel for a Ugandan based client in connection with a joint venture in Rwanda, including drafting and negotiating the Shareholders’ Agreement and other transaction documents, incorporation of the joint venture vehicle, procurement of relevant corporate approvals and completion of post transaction formalities.
- Acting for an African based conglomerate on various corporate matters in connection with their new business activities, including preparation of shareholder agreements, share subscription agreements, advice on UAE employment law issues and preparation of employment contracts.
- Acting for Fedha Group, one of Kenya’s leading real estate developers, in the negotiation of hotel management and brand licensing contracts with Minor Hotels for the proposed Avani Nairobi Suites at Westlands, Nairobi.
- Acting for a Kenya based client in connection with the restructuring of his shareholdings in various companies, including drafting of share purchase agreements, share swap agreements, loan notes and the necessary resolutions.
3 / 8