Dr. Omer Ali Abdelrahman
Managing Partner | ALN Sudan | Omer Ali Law Firm
3rd Floor, Tower of Arab Authority for Agricultural Investment and Development Plot 2/1, Block 9/E, Khartoum East, Sudan
P.O Box: 114 62, Khartoum, Sudan
Telephone:+249 155 155 554
Dr. Omer Ali Abdelrahman is the Managing Partner of Omer Ali Law Firm in Khartoum, Sudan. He has been practising law both inside and outside Sudan since 1980. Dr. Omer Ali started his career in Sudan by practising in a prominent law firm, then as legal advisor at the helm of the executive branch of the government. His practice outside Sudan included the position of legal advisor in a law firm in Saudi Arabia advising multinational corporations, public companies and family owned businesses and in-house legal counsel for a family owned conglomerate with businesses in various countries (including Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, U.S.A, Indonesia and Malaysia).
Dr. Omer Ali’s practice includes company law, contract law, insurance, banking and finance, intellectual property, joint ventures, carriage contracts, construction law, shipping law, acquisitions and mergers, energy and natural resources, international trade and arbitration.
- Sudan Lawyers’ Union (Bar)
2004: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), History and Development of the Law of Contract in Sudan (1989-2000), The School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
1997: Master of Laws, LL.M., Queen Mary & Westfield College, University of London
1981: Legal Profession Examination Certificate, The Council of Legal Profession, Sudan
1980: Bachelor of Laws, LL.B., Faculty of Law, University of Khartoum
2005 – to Date: Advocate and Legal Consultant, Omer Ali Law Firm, Khartoum, Sudan
1994 – 2005: In-house legal counsel, Hayel Saeed Anam Group (HSA) of Yemen, based in London, UK
1992 – 1994: In-house legal counsel, Hayel Saeed Anam Group (HSA) of Yemen, based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
1983 – 1992: Legal Advisor, Law Firm of Dr. Adbulla Al-Amoudi, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1981 – 1983: Legal Advisor, Attorney General’s Chamber, Khartoum, seconded to the Presidency of the Council of Ministers, Khartoum
1980 – 1981: Trainee Lawyer, Law Firm of Adham, Abuelreash & Co., Khartoum, Sudan
Advising a client in connection an acquisition by a multinational company of the shares of a Sudanese company in the oil sector, including conducting legal due diligence on the target company’s shares and other corporate aspects, including real property, contracts, finance agreements and securities, regulations including business permits and licences, litigation and other general legal matters. The transaction involved acquisition of shares of companies in six African countries including Sudan.
- Advising a client in connection with the acquisition of shares and business by an Indian based company in a Sudanese group, including conducting due diligence on legal aspects of the proposed acquisition in corporate, employment, leases, contracts and litigation.
- Advising a client in connection with the acquisition of shares of a Sudanese company which provides air handling services, by a Gulf based company, including conducting due diligence in corporate, contracts, investment law, business names, leases, assets and equipment, employees, licences, franchise, finance and security agreements, litigation; preparing share sale/purchase agreement and related contractual documents and overseeing closing of the transaction.
- Advising a client in connection with an international arbitration between a Mid-eastern Group and a Chinese company, including forming the team representing the claimant in this international arbitration before Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
- Advising a multinational mining company in connection with company incorporation in Sudan.
- Advising a Gulf based company regarding certain capital restructures in a Sudanese telecommunications company.
- Acting as an expert witness in connection with an arbitration between certain oil companies and a governmental body under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, conducted in London.
- Acting as a co-arbitrator in connection with an arbitration case between a Gulf cased company and a governmental body at the ICC International Court of Arbitration, Paris.
- Advising a client in connection with a due diligence process for a Gulf based company regarding acquisition of land and a real estate development project in Sudan.
- Advising a client in connection with the construction and development agreements regarding a free zone project.
- Advising a multinational oil company in connection with a divestment in Sudan
- Acting as part of the legal team representing refinery owners in connection with a turnkey refinery construction and finance project, including reviewing of EPC and finance agreements regarding 60,000 BPD refinery plant.
- Advising a subsidiary of an international airliner in connection with a proposed joint venture on catering services for the aviation industry.
- Advising a client in connection with telecommunications regulatory issues under Sudanese Law and minority shareholder rights.
- Advising a multinational car manufacturer in connection with the establishment of distributor relationships in Sudan, including conducting due diligence which covered intellectual property, corporate issues, employment, import regulations, free zone rules, exchange regulations, warranties and product liability, distributor relationships, vehicle testing /emission, contracts, anti-trust and competition laws.
- Advising a client in connection with legal issues arising from aviation insurance in Sudan involving several airlines operating in Sudan.