Partner | ALN Tanzania | A&K Tanzania
The Address, Ground Floor, 1 Bains Singh Avenue, Msasani PeninsulaP. O. Box 79651 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Telephone:+255 22 260 1151/2
+255 784 516 986
Geofrey Dimoso is a Partner at ALN Tanzania with over 15 years of experience in private practice having previously worked as an in-house lawyer in the banking sector. He specialises in corporate, finance and banking law, telecommunications, competition law, and real estates laws. In recognition of his experience in the banking industry, Geofrey was appointed to serve in various technical groups, including being a member of the task force that was assigned to review the Tanzanian Land Act, 1999 that led to the enactment of the Mortgage (Special Provisions) Act, 2008 and the Regulations.
Since joining ALN Tanzania, Geofrey has regularly advised domestic and international banks on the full range of financial, banking, corporate & commercial laws issues. He has also been actively involved in a number of cross border transactions which involve engagement with various regulators in Tanzania, including the Bank of Tanzania (BoT), Fair Competition Commission (FCC), Tanzania Communication Regulatory Authority (TCRA), Mining Commission, Capital Market, and Securities Authority (CMSA) and Registrar of Companies (BRELA). He is representing various clients in commercial disputes instituted in various courts in Tanzania, including insolvency matters.
Geofrey is a practicing Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania since December 2005 and holds a Master of Laws degree in Corporate and Commercial Laws and a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. He is a certified director by the Commonwealth Centre for Corporate Governance (Kenya) and the Institute of Directors Tanzania and serves as a member of various professional bodies, including the Tanganyika Law Society and East African Law Society.
- Tanganyika Law Society
- East African Law Society
2013: Master of Laws degree in Corporate and Commercial Laws, University of Dar es Salaam
2005: Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania
2003: Bachelor of Laws degree, University of Dar es Salaam
May 2019 – Date: Partner, A&K Tanzania
Jan 2018 – Apr 2019: Head of Legal & Company Secretary, Commercial Bank of Africa (Tanzania)
Feb 2007 – Dec 2017: Head of Legal & Company Secretary, Azania Bank Limited
Aug 2005 – Jan 2007: Legal Manager, Azania Bank Limited
Jan 2004 – Jul 2005: Legal Officer, Nyalali, Warioba & Mahalu Law Associates
Jan 2003 – Aug 2003: Intern, FK Law Chambers, Dar es Salaam
- Acting for Credit Suisse AG in connection with the loan facility to the Ministry of Finance & Planning acting for and on behalf of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania (the Borrower). A& K Tanzania acted as the local while Clifford Chance was the Lead Legal Counsels on this transaction. The Facility was intended supplement the 2020/2021 Governmetn of Tanzania Budget with specific purpose to support on going infrastructure projects.
- Acting for Eutelsat/Konnect Broadband Tanzania in connection with application of various licenses for the purpose of providing providing direct satellite broadband service in Tanzania.
- Acting for GardaWorld in connection with their acquisition of Ultimate Tanzania.
- Acting for SFC Finance Limited in connection with USD 4 million loan facility to Mbasira Foods Industries. This was the first loan of its type on Agri-business in Tanzania and the Facility Agreement was English Law governed. Being a foreign loan, it also required to be registered by the Bank of Tanzania.
- Acting for PayU in connection with regulatory advice with regards to the provisions of online payment service.
- Acting for Avanti Communications Group in connection with banking facilities provided by the Bank of New York Mellon, London Branch and Wilmington Trust (London), including reviewing the English law loan agreements; drafting corporate authorisations and secretarial confirmations; conducting a limited due diligence on the facility documents, in line with the Tanzanian laws; confirming Avanti Communications Tanzania’s capacity on issuing securities; confirming registration requirements; and assisting on conditions precedent checklist compliance.
- Acting for Cargill Financial Services International in connection with the recovery of the loan granted to Bank M (which was put under statutory management of the Bank of Tanzania) including advising on the settlement of the outstanding amount.
- Acting for Africa Export-Import Bank, a pan-African multilateral trade finance institution, as the main lender, and various co- financiers, in connection with a multi-jurisdictional syndicated debt facility to the Smile Group of companies dealing with 4G LTE broadband, including advising on the requirements with respect to variations of the security documents, issue capacity and enforcement legal opinions, advise on perfection and enforcement issues in Tanzania.
- Acting for Aceli Africa, a market-based platform that seeks to unlock capital for agricultural small and medium enterprises, in connection with their intention to expand their financial services in Tanzania, including advising on the required regulatory approvals for the deal and impacts on the proposed transaction, reviewing of various financial guidelines, loan agreements, data and financial policies to ensure that they are in line with Tanzanian laws and advise on employment and data protection issues.
- Acting for Citibank Tanzania in connection with various legal issues affecting the client’s services as relating to other industries in Tanzania and providing advice on various legal matters as they arise.
- Acting for I&M Bank Tanzania in connection with the review of the tripartite agreement with Comviva-Airtel for provision of mobile financial products/services in Tanzania.
- Acting for Primefuels Tanzania in connection with the preparation of annual and five years mining local content plans required by the Tanzanian Mining Commission, in line with the mining local content requirements as supplier to holders of mineral rights licences in Tanzania.
- Acting for FirstRand Bank Limited in relation to the regulatory advice on the proposed internal restructuring of the shares.
- Acting for Exim Bank Tanzania, Citibank Tanzania, Stanbic Bank Tanzania, I & M Bank Tanzania and CBA Bank Tanzania in connection with preparation of security documents (including debenture, mortgages, guarantees and pledges) and registration of these security documents with the respective registries.
- Acting for Equity Group Holdings in connection with the acquisition of 100% of African Banking Corporation Tanzania from Atlas Mara.
- Acting for Huaxin Cement Company in connection with its acquisition of 100% of the issued shares in Maweni Limestone.
- Acting for Huaxin Cement Company in connection with the converstion of its shareholder loan into a convertible loan.
- Acting for employees of a world leading platform-based provider of mobility services in Tanzania in connection with the issuance of shares to its employees.
- Acting for a UK holding company in connection with the acquisition of proprietary pay-as-you-go (PAYG) technology and advanced manufacturing capabilities.
5 / 8