Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 20 364 0000, +254 703 032 000
Jackson Makori is an Associate at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna and is a member of the Corporate and Commercial department. He focuses on corporate commercial law, competition law, employment law, FinTech, and data protection law.
Jackson has acted for clients on complex, fast-paced cross-border transactions that involved coordinating multiple cross-functional teams.
Jackson is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a member of the Law Society of Kenya. He holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from Strathmore University.
- Law Society of Kenya
2022: Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
2022: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2019: LL.B, Bachelor of Laws, Strathmore University, Kenya
Mar 2023 – Date: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna LLP, Nairobi
Jul 2022 – Mar 2023: Holding Over, Anjarwalla & Khanna LLP, Nairobi
May 2021 – May 2022: Trainee Lawyer, DLA Piper Africa, Kenya, Nairobi
Jan 2020 – Dec 2020: Graduate Intern, State Law Office and Department of Justice, Nairobi
Sep 2019 – Nov 2019: Intern, Kaplan & Stratton, Nairobi
Apr 2018 – Jun 2018: Intern, Anjarwalla & Khanna LLP, Nairobi
- Acting for Helios Investment Partners, the largest emerging markets-focused private equity firm, in connection with the USD 50 million acquisition of a majority stake in IXAfrica Data Centre.
- Acting for an impact fund in connection with its USD 3 million investment in a Tanzanian food distribution company.
- Advising various clients in connection with setting up of businesses in different sectors in Kenya, including the tax considerations and implications of setting up using different investment vehicles in Kenya.
- Advising various clients across an array of sectors in connection with their local and multi-jurisdictional due diligence exercises for M&A transactions, relating to corporate entities, regulatory compliance and material commercial arrangements.
- Advising on a variety of employment matters including redundancy, unlawful deduction of wages, termination of employment and advising clients on the legal duties and risks in respect of retaining or terminating of employment in various transactions in their proposed restructurings.
- Assisting in advising various clients in respect of local competition law issues related to mergers and acquisitions.
- Assiting Baker & McKenzie in connection with undertaking a compliance review for an international payment service provider in relation to regulatory compliance requirements in setting up a payment aggregator in Kenya and advice on obtaining a payment service provider licence and money remittance licence.
- Advising a multi-stage global investment firm in connection with its investment in a fintech company on its regulatory compliance with payment services law and potential structures to impliment in order to operate in Kenya.
- Advising an international ride hailing company in connection with whether the services it provides and its payment structure would require it to be compliant with payment serivces laws.
- Advising a development finance institution on the applicability of the Data Protection Act, 2019 to its entity that is based in Kenya, including advising on its obligations as a data controller and data processor and compliance considerations; adapting their data protection policy and Non-Disclosure Agreements to be compliant with Kenyan data protection laws.
72 / 76