Luisa Cetina is a Director at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna. She is a member of the Dispute Resolution and Forensics & Investigations teams, and co-heads the firm’s International Trade practice. Luisa’s practice focuses on international arbitration, complex investigations, antitrust and white-collar crime.
Prior to joining ALN Kenya, Luisa spent almost a decade as a corporate litigator at White & Case in New York where she represented clients in multi-jurisdictional civil and criminal antitrust matters, complex business disputes and international arbitration proceedings. In 2023, Legal 500 described Luisa as “sought after for her strength in advising on international litigation and arbitration matters.” Clients have described Luisa as “erudite, exceptionally intelligent, and a world class lawyer” – Legal 500 2021.
Luisa is admitted to the New York State Bar as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. She earned BCL and LLB law degrees, as well as a Bachelor of Arts degree, from McGill University in Montreal, Canada.
- New York State Bar
- S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
2006: BCL and LLB, Faculty of Law, McGill University, Montreal Canada
2002: Bachelor of Arts, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
Jan 2020 – Date: Director, Dispute Resolution and Forensics & Investigations, A&K
May 2019 – Dec 2019: Of Counsel, Dispute Resolution and Forensics & Investigations, A&K
Mar 2015 – Apr 2019: Head of Business Development, Marketing & Communications, A&K and ALN
Sept 2006 – 2015: Senior Associate, Litigation, White & Case
Awards & Accolades
- Luisa has been recommended by Legal 500 2020 in the dispute resolution category and recognised as ‘an experienced international litigator’.
“Luisa Cetina is sought after for her strength in advising on international litigation and arbitration matters” – Legal 500 2023
“Luisa Cetina, Zillah and Abbas are all stand outs.” – Legal 500 2022
“My senior contact is Luisa Cetina, who is erudite, exceptionally intelligent, and a world class lawyer.” – Legal 500 2021
“Luisa Cetina had excellent judgment in handling the matter, displayed extensive knowledge of the law and was a tough negotiator.” – Legal 500 2021
“Luisa Cetina and Willie Oelofse work in the investigations team and have a unique offering for the Kenyan market, hence they are in demand and have carved a niche for themselves.” – Legal 500 2021
- Acting for SBM Bank in connection with a suit filed by a former shareholder of Fidelity Commercial Bank (FCB) over the acquisition of their shares by SBM.
- Acting for a 5,000 acre mixed-use development in connection with an ICC construction arbitration against a contractor.
- Acting for a leading technology multinational in connection with a USD 60 million commercial dispute with a Nation State.
- Acting for a global security company in connection with a post-acquisition dispute before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) in relation to completion accounts and breach of warranties, and in expert determination proceedings in relation to an earn-out dispute.
- Acting for the selling shareholders in connection with a dispute with a multinational listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange in connection with warranty and indemnity claims.
- Acting for a player in the steel industry in connection with a regulatory investigation.
- Acting for a European private equity that focuses on renewable energy in connection with dispute before the Land and Environment Court seeking to stop the development of a renewable energy project.
- Acting for a Singaporean entity in connection with an investigation into allegations of bribery, corruption and fraud, as well as related employment claims.
- Acting for Balton CP, a UK-based multinational in the technology and agricultural industry, with operations in several African countries, in connection with various civil suits before the Labour & Employment Court and the High Court in relation to several claims.
- Acting for BIC East Africa (BIC), a subsidiary of BIC, in connection with a number of employment claims raised against the company.
- Acting for a Nation State in connection with an investigation into potentially fraudulent claims against the State.
- Representing a senior executive of a multinational in negotiations with the World Bank Group’s Integrity Vice Presidency in relation to an internal investigation into a company operating in the infrastructure sector.
- Acting for a leading independent power producer in connection with local regulatory requirements under the Kenyan Bribery Act.
- Acting for a growing start-up in the education and entertainment space in connection with an intellectual property dispute.
- Acting for several global NGOs in connection with internal investigations, compliance matters, reporting requirements, and employment claims.
36 / 74