Principal Attorney | Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
Bole Road, Cape-Verde Street, near to the European Union Delegation to Ethiopia, Tensae Building, 2nd Floor, Office No. 001
Telephone:+251 11 6 672341 or +251 11 6 672271
Mesfin has more than 30 years of legal experience in the private, public, and civil society sectors in Ethiopia. Mesfin is a top-rated attorney with substantial experience representing multinational investors in sectors, including M&A, banking and finance, power and energy, oil and gas and infrastructure. He is recognised by Chambers & Partners as Band I legal service provider in Ethiopia and also recognised by Legal 500 and ILFR1000 in Ethiopia.
Ethiopian Lawyers’ Association
2000-2001: Master of Laws [LLM] in International Business Law, University of London
1984-1989: Bachelor of Laws [LLB] from Addis Ababa University
2007 – Date: Principal Attorney, Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
2003- 2007: Commissioner, Civil Service Commission
2001-2003: External Relations and Mobilization Director, Ministry of Capacity Building
2000-2000: Justice System Reform Program Co-director, Ministry of Capacity Building
1999-2001: Head of the Civil Cases Dept., The Ministry of Justice
1997-1999: Senior Prosecutor, Ministry of Justice
1993-1997: Judge/Senior Judge, Public Service Commission
1992-1993: Legal Service Head, Meher Fibre Products Company
1989-1992: Pleader, National Textiles Corporation
- Acting for the International Finance Cooperation (IFC) in connection with the Scaling Solar Project aimed at generating 500MW solar energy.
- Acting for MTN in connection with its participation on Ethio-telecom’s operational license bid beginning from submitting the bid and in every further procedure of tendering.
- Acting for ENEL Green Power (ENEL) in connection with its bid for the 100 MW Metehara Solar Photovoltaic Electricity Generating Facility Project (Project) as issued by the Ethiopian Electric Power.
- Advising one of the world’s leading food and beverage companies in connection with its acquisition of a stake in one of the biggest Ethiopian soft drink manufacturing companies in Ethiopia.
- Acting for TetraTech, an American consulting firm, in connection with the implementation of the Power Africa project.
- Acting for Heineken Breweries in connection with its investments and on-going transactions, including advising on foreign exchange matters in Ethiopia.
- Advising the Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation in connection with the drafting of the Public Private Partnership Policy and Proclamation.
- Member of the task force in charge of revising the Ethiopian investment proclamation and upcoming regulation.
- National consultant for Ethiopian Investment Commission (EIC) tasked with drafting an amendment to the previous investment proclamation and industrial park regulation.
- Acting for BASF, the largest chemical producer in the world, in connection with the setting up a manufacturing plant in Ethiopia.
- Advising Goldman Sachs, Standard Chartered, Morgan Stanley, China Development Bank, China EXIM Bank, CAD Fund, ICICI and IDA South Africa in connection with various legal matters.
- Acting for Petroleum Group for China-Africa Fund for Industrial Cooperation in connection with conducting a legal due diligence and advising on Ethiopian oil and natural gas sector.
- Advising Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC), Deloitte, KPMG, Samsung Africa, Mastercard and Natixis in connection with their banking, finance and project financing transactions in Ethiopia.
- Advising Yara Dallol B.V, Dalberg and Elite Agro in connection with the incorporation of a new Company in Ethiopia.
- Advising SAB Miller and AB InBev in connection with their merger notification and approval at the Ethiopian Trade Competition and Consumer Protection Authority.
- Advising Abyssinia Integrated Steel in connection with the preferable ways of transferring a business with depth comparison of sale of shares and assets from legal and regulatory perspectives.
- Acting for YARA, Newmont, Allana Potash, Israel Chemical, Sheba Exploration (Centamin), Stratex East Africa, Kefi Minerals, Marathon Oils, Ethio-Potash, Gemfields, NovaPotash, Schulumberger, Fura Gems and Vale in connection with their mining and exploration transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Frigorifico Boran Foods, Export Trading Group, KBA Metal Print, Kanoria Chemicals and Industries, Universal Plastic, Axreal Group, Oxford Group and Godrej in connection with their manufacturing businesses in Ethiopia.
- Acting for the Vasari group, Veris Investments, 54 Capital, the Abraaj Group, Shultz Global Investments, Essilor Middle East, IFFCO Group and Zoscales Partners in connection with their various merger and acquisition transactions in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (DEG) and European Investment Bank (EIB in connection with their potential Investment in an Ethiopian technology company.
- Acting for Starwood Hotels, Hilton Worldwide, Four Seasons in connection with their investments in the tourism and hospitality sectors in Ethiopia.
- Advice FSD in connection with the available options to have a legal presence in Ethiopia.
- Acting for Highlights Trading in connection with funding, loan arrangement and prospect of incorporation of a new company.
- Advising a foreign construction consultant in connection with a potential dispute in relation to non-performance of a contract by a government authority in Ethiopia.
- Representing Wilmar International in connection with investment and corporate advisory and court proceedings.
- Representing Senselet Food processing before a Tax Appeal Commission in connection with import duty imposition based on inaccurate classification of inputs for its products.
- Representing C54/Blue Bird before an arbitration tribunal in connection with a shareholder’s loan dispute.
- Acting for Consta Joint Venture and Pamela steel in connection with a litigation matter.
1 / 9