Joke is a Co-Managing Partner with Aluko & Oyebode and heads the Abuja office. She is an active member of the firm’s dispute resolution and corporate and commercial practice teams. She has robust experience in regulatory and government relations. She coordinates all interface with the federal ministries, departments and agencies. She also provides in-depth legal advice on complex issues arising from diverse areas of Nigerian law, including issues of corporate governance, employment, banking, procurement, land, intellectual property, enforcement of foreing judgments, and winding up of all forms of legal entities under Nigerian law.
- Nigerian Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (U.K.) Nigeria Branch
- Nigerian Leadership Initiative
- Institute of Chartered Mediatiors and Conciliators
- National Assembly Business Environment Roundtable (NASSBER) Expert Network -Arbitration Thematic Area
2011: New York Bar Admission
2009: Wharton Business and Law Certificate (WBLC)
2009: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (LL.M.)
2003: Nigerian Law School (B.L)
2001: University of Ibadan,Oyo Nigeria, (LL.B. Hons)
2015: Partner, Aluko & Oyebode
2014: (April – July) – Secondee, Addleshaw Goddard
2008: Senior Associate, Aluko & Oyebode
2003: Associate, Aluko & Oyebode
Awards & Accolades
- Legal500: Ranked Next Generation Lawyer
- 40 Under 40 Award – ESQ Nigerian Legal Awards (Maiden Edition)
- Advising and representing the Korean national oil carrier and its Nigerian subsidiary in connection with appeals arising from the revocation of their oil prospecting licenses.
- Advising and representing the family of a deceased renowned Gambian journalist in connection with a fundamental rights application filed before the Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS which resulted in a successful judgment against the Republic of Gambia.
- Appointed as a joint expert in Nigerian law in connection with proceeding at the Truro County Court, United Kingdom, including providing an expert report covering enforcement of foreign judgment, divorce proceedings, settlement of property and rules of civil procedure of the high courts of Nigeria.
- Acting as Nigerian Counsel to a Spanish oil company in connection with a london seated CIARB arbitration.
- Adving and representing the Nigerian subsidiary of a Hong Kong registered company in connection with a dispute.
- Advising and representing a global information and communications technology solutions provider and its local subsidiary in an action for the recovery of over NGN 1.6 billion.
- Advising and representing a global oil field service provider in connection with arbitration proceedings involving potential liability arising from charterparty agreements in relation to vessels hired to work on an oil rig.
- Advising and representing a multinational bank in connection with a claim of over NGN 400 billion arising from alleged fundamental rights infringement action.
- Advising and representing a utility company spanning 4 states in Nigeria in connection with proceedings challenging the scope of the powers of one of the major industry regulators.
- Advising and representing a multinational company in connection with employee related claims of over NGN 5 billion involving over 100 former employees.
- Advising and representing a multinational bank in connection with an alleged copyright infringement action.
- Advising one of the members of the consortium that acquired the USD 300 million Ughelli Power Plant with installed capacity of 900MW in connection with the privatization exercise of the power sector of Nigeria conducted by the Bureau of Public Enterprises.
- Advising Powerchina Huadong Engineering Corporation as the EPC contractor and financier of a hydropower generating facility with an aggregate capacity of 39MW at Dadin Kowa 3 Dam in Gombe State, Nigeria in connection with a concession granted to Mabon by the Federal Ministry of Water Resources on behalf of the Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority.
- Advising a Canadian solar power company in connection with the development of proposed solar power projects across various states in Nigeria, including carrying out property searches across Northern Nigeria in relation to acquisition of the project sites.
- Advising Equatorial Mining and Exploration in connection with the acquisition of 9 (nine) Exploration Licenses for coal, limestone, gypsum in Nigeria and issuing a due diligence legal opinion in support of its proposed listing on the AIM Market of the London Exchange.
- Advising the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission in connection with its enforcement powers under extant laws and regulations.
- Advising one of the largest international commodities trading companies in connection with issues arising from the seizure of a VLCC laden with about 1,000,000 barrels of crude by the Department of Petroleum Resources, advising on issues arising from the sale/purchase of adulterated crude oil.
- Advising an American private foundation on a regular advice in connection with its activities in Nigeria, including providing advice on general corporate matters and on the collaboration agreements with National Planning Commission, reviewing employment contracts, and advising on personal income tax, pension contributions, employee compensation contributions, national health insurance and office lease.
- Advising the project sponsor of a 100MW photovoltaic solar project in Kaduna State, which is among the 14 front runners that signed power purchase agreements to the tune of USD 2.5 billion with the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Nigeria Bulk Electricity Trading.
- Advising the largest Chinese infrastructure company in West Africa in connection with its bid to design, build, operate and transfer the Fourth Mainland Bridge in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Advising a company in connection with its bid to finance, refurbish, debottleneck and operate a gas processing plant under a 25-year build, operate and transfer arrangement to provide dedicated gas supply to a thermal power plant in the South-South region of Nigeria at an expected rate/volume of 90 – 100 MMscf of gas per day.
- Advising Abuja Electricity Distribution, the sole company with franchise for marketing and distribution of electricity in Abuja, Niger, Kogi and Nasarawa States of Nigeria in connection with their day-to-day legal matters.
13 / 20