Oluwatosin Iyayi is a Partner at Aluko & Oyebode’s Litigation and ADR department. Her areas of specialisation include banking, insolvency and debt recovery, employment, commercial litigation and arbitration. She also advises on all aspects of Nigerian litigation practice and procedure.
Oluwatosin has represented a wide range of clients, including oil companies, multi-national corporations, banks and other financial institutions, telecommunication operators in various litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Oluwatosin has a very pragmatic approach to dispute resolution and strategy, and she has employed this approach and her wealth of experience in providing legal services to local and multinational companies involved in litigation and arbitration.
Oluwatosin has a sound understanding of insolvency and debt recovery issues. Her firm commitment to the best interest of her clients in disputes and the inevitable attendant success makes her an invaluable member of the team. She is a thorough professional.
Oluwatosin speaks English and Yoruba languages fluently.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Business Recovery and Insolvency Practitioners Association of Nigeria (BRIPAN)
2007: Called to the Nigerian Bar
2005: University College London (LL.M) Corporate & Commercial Law
2004: University of Kent, Canterbury (LLB Hons.)
2022 – Date: Partner, Aluko & Oyebode
2014- 2022: Senior Associate, Aluko & Oyebode
2007 – 2014: Associate, Aluko & Oyebode
Awards and Accolades
“Tosin is excellent and very responsive.”—IFLR 1000, 2021
- Advising a client in connection with a dispute against a major player in the FMCG Industry.
- Advising a client in connection with an arbitration against the Ogun State Government.
Debt Recovery, Receiverships and Insolvency:
- Advising Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) in connection with an indigenous power company and its promoters in successfully recovering a debt in the sum of aproximately NGN 4 million (USD 9.75 million) owed to AMCON.
- Advising Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) in connection with a matter against dredging company in successfully recovering a debt of NGN 650 million (USD 1.5 million).
- Advisng a commercial bank in Nigeria and successfully obtaining judgment in favour of the bank in connection with a debt in the sum of NGN 159 million (USD 380 thousand).
- Advising Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) in connection with its capacity as creditor in various disputes against delinquent debtors.
- Acting for Access Bank in connection with a claim for the alleged undervalued sale of a mortgaged asset by the receiver.
- Acting for Pietro Di Constanzo, the receiver, in connection with an action instituted to obtain certain declaratory reliefs to confirm the appointment of a receiver/manager who was appointed for the purpose of recovering debt from a debtor company as well as an injunction restraining directors of the debtor company from interfering with the exercise of powers of the receiver/manager.
- Acting for several corporate organisations in connection with actions brought against them by their previous employees.
- Acting for an international oil company in connection with successfully defending a labour dispute through which the claimants claimed the sum of NGN 155.9 million (USD 3.7 million) against the client.
- Acting for a multinational bank in connection with a dispute filed against it by a previous employee claiming approximately the sum of NGN 1.5 billion (USD 3.6 million).
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria, Citibank Nigeri, Access Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank and Fidelity Bank amongst others, in connection with their matters at both the High Court and the Appellate Courts, including providing advisory services and legal representation.
16 / 18