Principal Associate | ALN Tanzania | A&K Tanzania
The Address, Ground Floor, 1 Bains Singh Avenue, Msasani Peninsula, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
P. O. Box 79651 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Telephone:+255 22 260 1151
Sophia is a Principal Associate at A&K Tanzania having joined the firm in 2014. Sophia had previously interned at Adept Chambers in 2013. Sophia’s areas of focus are corporate law, employment law, telecommunication, real estate and conveyancing and intellectual property law.
Since joining ALN Tanzania, Sophia has regularly advised domestic and international clients on various transactions involving engagement with various regulators in Tanzania, including the Bank of Tanzania (BoT), the Tanzania Investment Center (TIC), Fair Competition Commission (FCC), Tanzania Communication Regulatory Authority (TCRA), and the Registrar of Companies (BRELA).
- The Tanganyika Law Society
- The East African Law Society
2014: Postgraduate Diploma, Law School Tanzania
2011: LL.B, Mzumbe University
April 2023 – Date: Principal Associate, A&K Tanzania
June 2019 – March 2023: Associate, A&K Tanzania
Mar 2019- May 2019: Associate, ATZ Law Chambers
Sept 2017 – Dec 2017: Secondment, Anjarwalla & Khanna
Mar 2014 – Feb 2016: Junior Associate, ATZ Law Chambers
Sept 2013 – Nov 2013: Intern, Adept Chambers
Jul 2011 – Sept 2011: Intern, Ilala Resident Magistrate’s Court
- Advising Lucky Games Limited, a company involved in the gaming industry (gambling and betting activities) in Tanzania in its majority acquisition by Moja Group Inc (a private limited company registered and existing under the laws of the Republic of Mauritius).
- Advising Mwananchi Communications Limited (a subsidiary of Nation Media Group and the leading print media company in Tanzania with print as well as online platforms) in its majority acquisition by a Tanzanian national.
- Advising City Lodge Hotel Group with respect to the acquisition of its entire issued share capital by Faraja Limited.
- Advising Orica Tanzania Limited (involved in the business of importing, manufacturing, marketing, selling and distributing explosives and providing associated services in Tanzania) in respect to its minority acquisition by a Tanzanian national.
- Advising the Norwegian Embassy in respect of its validity to property ownership in Tanzania.
- Advising New Forests Asset Management Pty Limited (global investment manager of nature-based real assets and natural capital strategies) in its acquisition of Green Resources AS by carrying out a due diligence report to assist the buyer in its decision to acquire.
- Advising a client (manufacturer of container glass, glass packaging, food, soft drinks, liquor, beer, beverage, cosmetic glass, pharmaceutic glass), in connection with the acquisition of one of the largest shopping malls in Tanzania. Provided guidance on how best to proceed with the proposed acquisition irrespective of the issues surrounding the property to be acquired, including drafting of the sale agreement and review of the court proceedings with respect to the property.
- Advising a foreign company [property management including property management, tenancy management and financial accounting] with respect to the validity of their property ownership through the Tanzania Investment Centre.
- Advising a foreign company on the provision of internet services in Tanzania and assisting to obtain the relevant operational licenses from the Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority.
1 / 9