Stephen is a Partner in MMAKS Advocates’ Litigation Team. He holds an LL. B (Hons) Degree from Makerere University, a Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre and a Diploma in Trial Advocacy from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
Stephen was admitted to the Uganda Bar in January 2006. He specialises in commercial litigation, debt recovery, real estate, property, and tax law.
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member Uganda Law Society
- Member East African Law Society
- Diploma in Trial Advocacy, National Institute of Trial Advocacy,
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (LDC), Uganda
- B, Makerere University, Uganda
2017 to Date: Partner, MMAKS Advocates
2012 – 2016: Senior Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2005 -2012: Associate, MMAKS Advocates
2004- 2005: Associate, Adriko & Karugaba Advocates
2005 – 2007: Lecturer, Commercial and land Law, Kampala International University
Awards & Accolades
- Commonwealth Scholarship/fellowship 2016 tenable at Stephenson Harwood
- Acting for Absa Bank, Diamond Trust Bank Uganda and Stanbic Bank in connection with their corporate recovery matters.
- Acting for various entities in Africa in connection with the recovery of both secured and unsecured debts.
- Advising clients in connection with their tax disputes, at different levels, including the Tax Appeals Tribunal.
- Acting for the Central Bank of Uganda in connection with a suit involving fraudulent acquisition and conveyance of securities encumbered by the plaintiff to secure a debt facility of USD 20 million.
- Advising clients in connection with various aspects of the Condominium Law and setting up several condominium projects in Uganda.
- Acting for a seed company in connection with the acquisition of various properties worth USD 3 million in Uganda.
- Advising several clients in connection with various aspects of the land tenure system in the country.
- Advising several NGOs in connection with various aspects of Ugandan Law, including setting up in Uganda and advising on country agreements and employment contracts.
8 / 22