Adnan is a Partner in the Real Estate and Construction department at ALN Kenya. He focuses on property law, conveyancing, property development work, property joint ventures, construction, banking and corporate commercial law.
He also advises extensively on property acquisitions, property joint ventures, construction contracts, asset and share acquisitions, non-contentious probate matters, and the structuring of property developments, including residential and mixed-use projects.
Adnan’s expertise is acknowledged by leading global directories including Legal 500 and Chambers Global. He is a member of the Public Policy and Advocacy Committee of the Kenya Property Developers Association, an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and qualified by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.
- Law Society of Kenya
2010: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2009: Bachelor of Laws. LL.B, University of Nairobi (Second Class Honours (Upper Division))
2009: Affiliate of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
2008: Bachelor of Science (First Class Honours) in Applied Accounting, Oxford Brookes University
Jan 2020 – Date: Partner, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jul 2016 – Dec 2019: Senior Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Jan 2015 – Jun 2016: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Sept 2012 – Jan 2015: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Dec 2010 – Jul 2012: Hamilton Harrison & Mathews Advocates
Sept 2009 – Sept 2010: Tariq Khan & Associates Advocates
Feb 2005 – Apr 2005: Avinash Shah & Co. Nairobi, Kenya (Auditors)
Awards and Accolades
- Adnan has been recognised as a ‘Up and Coming’ by Chambers Global, 2022
- Adnan has been recognised as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ by Legal 500, 2022.
- Awarded best student in Conveyancing at the University of Nairobi.
- Awarded best speaker in Senior School debates.
“He is very responsive, professional and will promptly provide feedback.” – Chambers Global 2022
“Adnan Khan has development a notable reputation for his advice on property transactions, as well as leases attached to real estate projects.” – Chambers Global 2022.
- Acting for Westlands Triangle Properties in connection with redevelopment and refurbishment of its large office and retail development known as Westlands Square, including advising on the change of suer process, undertaking a legal analysis of the development, and negotiating and drafting template heads of terms, agreements for lease, leases, surrenders, license agreements, variation letters, bank guarantees and personal guarantees.
- Acting for a consortium led by Kiewa Group in connection with a joint venture with the County Government of Kitui for the redevelopment of the residential houses in Kitui on a PPP basis, including undertaking a regulatory review for the project, conducting due diligence on the titles for the various parcels of land to be used, setting up a special purpose vehicle (SPV) for the consortium, drafting a shareholders agreement in relation to the SPV and reviewing the joint venture agreement between the SPV and the Nairobi City County, and negotiating and concluding the joint venture agreement and the long term leases for the various project parcels of land.
- Acting for Mi Vida Thika Road, a newly established residential home developer, in connection with the development of a proposed new USD 120 Million Residential project, comprising of approximately 624 middle class apartments, including preparing and negotiating all land acquisition contracts, the sale agreement and head leases between the land owner and the developer; providing legal, land and structuring advice; advising on an appropriate management structure including providing tax advice; drafting and structuring all the template documents including the booking forms, disclaimers, letter of offer, agreement for sale or lease and the long term residential leases; reviewing the consultancy contracts with third party contractors and agents; advising on the various legal structures that may be adopted in connection with the ownership of the infrastructure; and providing infrastructure services.
- Acting for a client in a joint venture for a residential development comprising of medium cost apartments consisting of 100 plus apartments, amenities and facilities including carrying out due diligence on the land and the target entity and drafting and negotiating the share sale agreement, the shareholders agreement, the escrow agreement, the share charge and all other supporting documents.
- Acting for Hemingways Watamu in connection with the re-development and refurbishment of a high-end luxury hotel in Watamu, Kenya including advising on the overall project structure, management structure, legal and regulatory issues and compliance, legal risks and tax efficiencies as well as drafting the standard form of letter of offer, agreements for lease and lease for the sale of the apartments.
- Acting for Paramount Chief Estate in connection the residential development known as Edenville comprising of 345 villas in the first phase of the development including advising on the drafting of the agreement for sale and lease as well as negotiating the agreement for sale and lease with various purchasers and their respective advocates.
- Acting for The Oval in connection with the development known as The Oval comprising of a Grade A building consisting of over 120,000 square feet consisting of office and retail spaces including advising on the drafting of the agreements for sale and long term leases in respect of the sale of the units in the building and drafting and negotiating the short term commercial leases in respect of all the retail and office spaces in the building retained by the client.
- Acting for Maiyan Holdings in connection with the mixed use development known as The Maiyan in Nanyuki consisting of 47 development plots, approximately 160 residential villas, a hotel, recreational centre and garden village including advising on the overall project structure, management structure, legal and regulatory issues and compliance, legal risks and tax efficiencies as well as drafting the standard form of letter of offer, agreements for lease and lease in respect of the development plots, residential villas and the hotel.
- Acting for Centum, a leading East African investment and real estate development company listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange and the Uganda Securities Exchange in connection with the Two Rivers Mall situate on Two Rivers, its five-year, 100-acre, fully-integrated mixed-use development, the largest of its kind in Kenya, including advising on, drafting and negotiating the agreements for lease and short term commercial leases in respect of the retail spaces in the Two Rivers Mall.
- Representing Actis in connection with the development known as Garden City in Kenya a USD 250 million integrated mixed-use property that will include the Garden City Mall, offices, hotel, 600 residential units, businesses and a recreational area particularly drafting and negotiating the agreements for lease and short term commercial leases in respect of the retail spaces in the Garden City Mall and drafting and negotiating all supply contracts for services to the Garden City Mall.
- Acting for Dreyan Investments in connection with the residential development known as Golden Mile Park situate in Nairobi comprising of 160 apartments including drafting of the letter of offer, agreement for sale and lease and negotiating the agreement for sale and lease with various buyers and their respective advocates.
- Training officials of the Government of Rwanda on various legal aspects relating to construction including construction contracts, construction supervision contracts and consultants’ agreements and assisting and advising the Government of Rwanda on their standard draft templates on construction supervision contracts and consultant’s agreements.
- Acting for the developer in connection with a proposed new development consisting of a hotel and office block including advising on the form of construction contract and drafting the construction contract based on the FIDIC Red Book.
1 / 77