Bhavna Ramsurun is a Partner at BLC Robert and is involved in diverse aspects of financial regulatory matters with a special focus on investment funds, capital markets regulation and securities law.
Bhavna frequently advises on fund formation, the establishment of financial services providers and institutions and regulatory compliance. She has represented a number of fund managers, private equity and venture capital firms, investment funds and financial institutions as well as institutional investors. She advises on the structuring and formation of fund structures (private equity funds, closed-end funds and collective investment schemes), alternative private investment vehicles and financial service providers.
Bhavna also advises on regulatory aspects of investment funds and financial service providers.
She advises on securities law and capital market matters including the securities offering (private and public), a listing of securities (structured products, exchange traded funds, equity and debt securities) on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius, takeover regulation and issuers’ regulatory obligations. Bhavna has advised domestic and international players on their capital raising in the Mauritian market and on a cross-border basis. She has also represented investors in the acquisition of shares and the takeover of public companies.
Bhavna holds law and a postgraduate degree in International Business Law from Middlesex University. She was called to the Bar of England and Wales at the Honourable Society of Middle Temple in 2008 and to the Bar of Mauritius in 2009.
- Member of the Honourable Society of Middle Temple
- Mauritius Bar Association
2008: The College of Law, London, Bar Vocation Course
2006: Middlesex University, London, LL.M in International Business Law
2004: Middlesex University, London, LL.B Honours
Sept 2020 – Date: Partner, BLC Robert
Sept 2018 – Aug 2020: Senior Associate, BLC Robert
Sept 2009 – Aug 2018: Associate, BLC Robert
Aug 2008 – Aug 2009: Pupil Barrister, Chambers of Sir Hamid Moollan
Feb 2009 – May 2009: Pupil Barrister, Office of Me A.B Atchia, Senior Attorney
- Chambers Global Practice Guide 2019, Mauritius chapter on Investment Funds
- Advising AfricInvest in connection with the setting up of AfricInvest Financial Inclusion Vehicle, an evergreen platform for investing in financial institutions in Africa.
- Advising Growthpoint Investec African Properties in connection with the acquisition of RMB Westport portfolio assets.
- Advising HWIC Asia Fund part of the Fairfax group in connection with their takeover of Eagle Insurance, an insurance company listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius.
- Acting as Mauritian counsel to a USD 100 million fund targeting investments in renewable energy sector with emphasis on sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advising a client in connection with the setting up of an investment fund with a USD 1 billion target size and focusing on diversified pan-African investments in established and growing companies.
- Acting for Alitheia IDF Fund, a USD 75 million fund investing primarily in high-growth small and medium enterprises in Africa with a specific focus on women-owned or led businesses.
- Advising Adiwale Partners in connection with the setting up of Adiwale Fund I LP which focuses on investments across a broad spectrum of businesses in the consumer, business services and manufacturing sectors in Côte d’Ivoire, Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso as well as Togo, Benin and Guinea.
- Acting for Grit Real Estate Income Group in connection with its listing and capital raise on the Official List of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advising a government-owned investment company in connection with its establishment of a note programme of MUR 1 billion.
- Advising a development financial institution in connection with the establishment of private investment vehicles focused towards investments in Africa.
- Advising Growthpoint Investec African Properties, a company that focuses on investing in income producing real estate companies, in connection with its setting up.
- Advising a client in connection with statutory entity in the sugar industry to raise debt capital of MUR 1.5 billion.
- Advising a client in connection with the inaugural listing of depositary receipts on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius by African Export-Import Bank.
- Advising African Rainbow Capital Investments in connection with the listing of its shares on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- Advising a client in connection with the setting up of Mediterrania Capital III, a Mauritius domiciled fund with a target size of USD 300 million and focusing its investments in Northern African countries.
- Advising a client in connection with the setting up of a fund in the form of an investment company and targeting a maximum USD 400 million, which will provide permanent equity capital to growing mid-market companies across sub-Saharan Africa.
- Acting for AEGIDE DOMITYS and 2 Futures in connection with the EUR 58.5 million structuring and capital raise for the construction of Le Domaine de Grand-Baie.
6 / 24