Brian is an Associate at ALN Uganda | MMAKS Advocates and is part of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Litigation Team. He acts for and advises clients on the creation, registration, maintenance, protection, commercialisation, and enforcement of intellectual property rights in Uganda.
Brian has experience in trademark protection (searching and prosecution) and enforcement (oppositions, cancellations and infringements), copyright disputes, patent drawings and filings, company name objections, advertising complaints, image rights disputes and domain name disputes. His expertise and experience in intellectual enforcement matters extends beyond Uganda, into Africa and other foreign countries, giving him the unique ability to offer clients global and holistic enforcement measures.
Brian has a great interest in the field of commercial litigation, with an emphasis on intellectual property, entertainment law and ICT.
Brian is the Vice Chairperson of Uganda Law Society Intellectual Property Cluster, a member of the Legal Committee of Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA), where he advises FUFA on sports disputes and sports legal related matters. He is also a member of the Contracts Committee of Makerere University Business School, where he advises the entity on public procurement law.
Brian teaches law at Uganda Christian University, School of law and Makerere University Business School, Department of Business Law.
Brian holds an Upper- Second Class LL. B (Hons.) degree from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. He is an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda and is a member of the East African Law Society.
- Uganda Law Society
- East African Law Society
- Uganda Law Society Intellectual Property Law Cluster
- URSB IP Directorate Users’ Forum
- East African Law Society Intellectual Property Committee
- Certificate in Sports Law & Arbitration Practice, Uganda Olympic Committee
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- LL.B, Bachelor of Laws, Uganda Christian University
2022 – Date: Associate, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
2020 – 2022: Associate, Nangwala, Rezida & Co. Advocates, Uganda
2017 – 2020: Associate, Ntwali & Co. Advocates, Uganda
1993 – 1995: Trainee Solicitor, SNR Denton (then Denton Hall), London
- Acting for Brookside Limited, one of the largest dairy companies in East Afria, and Fresh Dairy (U), a subsidiary of Brookside in connection with the registration and renewal of its several trademarks.
- Acting for NBA Properties Inc. in connection with an opposition to their BAL trademark.
- Acting for DC Comics Inc., a renowned comic book publishing company, in connection with a trademark cancellation and removal matter in relation to their famous comics and well-known ‘Superman’ brand.Acting for Liberty Group Limited, a multinational insurance, property and financial services company, in connection with a trademark cancellation matter regarding their primary and well-known ‘Liberty’ trademark.
- Acting for Mandela Group of Companies Limited, in connection with a trademark opposition by Nelson Mandela Foundation against the registration of Mandela Group of Companies’ trademark.
- Acting for twelve commercial banks in connection with a copyright infringement suit, including representing the banks in court proceedings alleging infringement through rolling out of agent-assisted financial services and use of POS based technology platforms for agency banking.
- Advising National Social Security Fund (NSSF) as retained external Counsel in connection with routine Intellectual Property matters.
- Acting for The Procter and Gamble Company, the American manufacturer with a diverse line of branded products well known as Procter & Gamble or P&G, in connection with a trademark opposition against the registration of a trademark similar to its well-known Pamper and Pampers & Heart device logo trademarks.
- Acting for Movit Products Uganda Limited in connection with a trademark dispute in China against a Chinese national who infringed on our client’s intellectual property.
- Advising and acting for a scientist and university professor in connection with the registration and obtaining of a patent for her invention of ‘Deep Learning for Automated Mobile Microscopy Disease’ under ARIPO protection
- Advising Patagonia Inc. in connection with the registration of Patagonia as a state emblem under WIPO by Argentina, which is similar to the client’s Patagonia tradmarks.
- Acting for ICEA Group, a financial services company that provides insurance, pensions and investments services, in connection with an ongoing trademark opposition against the registration of its several ICEA Lion trademarks.
- Acting for Power Horse Energy Drinks GmbH in connection with a matter of trademark cancellation and removal from the register and obtaining an order for the removal and cancellation of a registered trademark similar to our client’s ‘Red Horse’ trademarks.
- Acting for Brookside Limited, one of the leading diary companies in East Africa, in connection with a labour dispute against it by 110 former employees, for alleged unlawful termination and redundancy, in which they sought compensation of UGX. 1.2 Billion.
- Acting for Victoria Hospital Limited in connection with a suit against a bank seeking to set asie a mortgage transaction and credit facilities of USD 5.5 million
- Acting for Exim Bank, a commercial bank in Uganda and licensed by the Bank of Uganda, in connection with a suit filed by their cutomer, challenging the sale of mortgaged property arising out of several credit facilities of USD 200,000, term loans of USD 3.9 million and another USD 200,000 loan and the appointment of a receiver.
- Acting for Spark Television in connection with a claim for alleged breach of minimum broadcasting standards raised by a consumer. We successfully challenged the jurisdiction of the regultor in relation to the allegations raised by the plaintiff.
23 / 23