A former senior member of the Attorney-General’s Office in Mauritius, Ammar Oozeer was called to the Bar in Mauritius in 1999. He has also previously worked as Senior In-house Legal Adviser and Legal Consultant to an information security company in London, U.K. and at one of the leading business law firm in Mauritius.
He obtained his Bachelor in Laws (Hons) degree at the University of Mauritius in 1996 and successfully completed his Vocational Course for Barristers at the Council of Legal Education, Mauritius in 1997. He was awarded two awards to do part of his legal training at Doughty Street Chambers, London, U.K. and in Aix-en-Provence, France. Ammar was also awarded the British Chevening Scholarship in 2001 to read a Master of Laws (LL.M) in Computer and Communications Law at Queen Mary University, London, and the U.K., which he successfully completed in 2002.
He has experience advising on broadcasting law, competition law, cybersecurity law, data protection law, copyright and trademark laws, technology law and telecommunications law.
Ammar also has considerable litigation experience, having appeared before the Supreme Court, including lower courts and tribunals and in arbitration cases at the national and international level. He has also represented the Data Protection Office successfully before the same ICT Appeal Tribunal. As a former member of the Attorney-General’s Office, he has frequently and successfully represented the Industrial Property Office before the Industrial Property Tribunal and the Supreme Court of Mauritius. He regularly appears in tax cases before the Assessment Review Committee.
- Mauritius Bar Association
- Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsel
2001 – 2002: LL.M Computer and Communications Law – Queen Mary College, University of London
1996 – 1997: Barrister Vocational Course, ranked 3rd, Council of Legal Education, Mauritius
1993 – 1996: LL.B (Hons) – University of Mauritius
2022 – Date: Senior Associate, BLC Robert
2016 – 2021: Barrister, BLC Robert
2012 – 2016: Barrister and Partner, Juristconsult Chambers
2002 – 2009: Legal Adviser, Information and Communication Technologies Authority
2002 – 2006: Part-time Lecturer, University of Mauritius
2007 – 2012: Board Director, State Informatics Ltd
2009 – 2010: Inhouse Senior Legal Adviser, QCC Information Security Ltd, London UK
2009 – 2012: Principal State Counsel, Attorney-General’s Office
2003 – 2009: Senior State Counsel, Attorney-General’s Office
2000 – 2003: State Counsel, Attorney-General’s Office
1999 – 2000: Temporary State Counsel, Attorney-General’s Office
Awards and Accolades
- Ranked 3rd at the Barrister Vocational Course, and offered two awards to do part of his legal training at Doughty Street Chambers, London, U.K. and in Aix-en-Provence, France with Mr. Nicolas Sorensen, Barrister
- Awarded the British Chevening Scholarship in 2001 to LL.M (Computer and Communications Law) in UK
Data Protection and Privacy Laws
- Advising a global social service provider in connection with its data protection law compliance.
- Advising an internationally well-known consumer electronics company in connection with the introduction of its consumer electronics equipment in Mauritius.
- Advising a leading US multinational technology company in connection with the provision of internet-based contents to Mauritian users.
- Advising an internationally well-known telecommunications company in connection with the introduction of its telecommunication equipment in Mauritius.
- Advising an international brand in the fashion industry in connection with its data protection law compliance.
- Advising one of the big four accounting firms in connection with its data protection law compliance.
Technology, Media and Telecoms Laws
- Advising a leading US multinational technology company that specialises in internet-related services in connection with its proposed payment service.
- Advising an international financing agency in connection with the regulatory implications of implementing its B2B online platform to Mauritian-based companies.
- Advising a leading US multinational technology company in connection with the legal and regulatory implications of the provision of entertainment contents on the internet to users in Mauritius.
- Advising a local financial institution in connection with the legal and regulatory implications of using cloud-based services.
- Acting successfully for the Information and Communication Technology Authority in City Call Ltd vs Information and Communication Technology before the ICT Appeal in connection with a dispute concerning an alleged abuse by the incumbent operator of its dominant position in the VoIP market (2006).
- Presiding the Policy, Regulatory and Institutional Working Group set up by the Ministry for ICT in connection with the drafting of the National ICT Strategic Plan 2007-2011 and making recommendations to the Government of Mauritius (2007).
- Advising the Information and Communication Technologies Authority in connection with all legal matters, including legal and regulatory implications of the provision of IPTV by an operator (2002-2009).
Legal and Compliance
- Advising a leading big four accounting firm on the data protection law compliance of a software containing its personnel’s contact details which is implemented at a global level with the data stored within the EU.
- Advising an international financial institution on AML compliance in connection with activities conducted from Mauritius.
- Advising an EU-based company on AML compliance in connection with its prospective business activities with Mauritian companies.
- Advising an international business process outsourcing company on data protection law compliance in connection with employees’ information.
- Monitoring changes in gambling and payments laws for a leading international payment service provider.
Intellectual Property Law
- Advising a local production company on the protection of its IP rights for works to be used in a leading international movie and reviewing the IP agreement.
- Acting for the respondent company following a trademark opposition raised against the registration of a trademark in connection with a company in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Drafting trademark and copyright licensing agreements.
- Advising and acting for a company in the tourism sector in connection with a dispute over the use of its trade.
- Acting for a company in the entertainment sector in a tax dispute under the Income Tax Act.
- Acting for a company before the Assessment Review Committee in connection with a tax dispute under the Income Tax Act following the disposal of a villa under the Integrated Resort Scheme.
- Acting for a small and medium enterprise in the food production sector in a value added tax dispute before the Objections, Appeals and Dispute Resolutions Department of the Mauritius Revenue Authority and at the Assessment Review Committee.
- Acting for an individual in a tax dispute concerning the status of the individual under the Income Tax Act before the Objections, Appeals and Dispute Resolutions Department, Mauritius Revenue Authority.
- Acting for a returning resident before the Objections, Appeals and Dispute Resolutions Department, Mauritius Revenue Authority.
- Acting for a company in the manufacturing sector in a dispute concerning H.S. Code classification Acting for a retailer in connection with a tax dispute under the Income Tax Act.
- Advising a company in the freeport sector on its tax liability under the Value Added Tax Act and making representations to the Mauritius Revenue Authority for a change in the H.S. Code classification of the products in question.
- Acting for the seller before the Assessment Review Committee in connection with a valuation dispute following the disposal of a villa.
- Advising a leading insurance company following a cybersecurity incident, including providing legal assistance at the IT Unit, Police Department.
- Providing legal assistance to a leading international financial institution following a cyber fraud.
- Advising a law firm in connection with a suspected cyber attack of its computer network, including liaising with the regulator.
- Advising a foreign reinsurance company in connection with an insurance claim following a cyber fraud on an insured.
- Advising a leading international US-based social network company in connection with cybercrime law enforcement.
- Advising a management company following a cyber fraud and liaising with the IT Unit of the Police Department for the recovery of the funds
14 / 24