Partner | ALN Mauritius | BLC Robert & Associates
2nd Floor, The Axis, 26 Bank Street, Cybercity, Ebene 72201, Mauritius
26 Cybercity, Ebene 72201 Mauritius
Telephone:+230 403 2400
André Robert is a Senior Attorney and Partner at BLC Robert who co-heads, with Senior Counsel Iqbal Rajahbalee, the Dispute Resolution Group of the firm. André got back to Mauritius after his studies where he had two years of pupillage. André qualified as an Attorney in 1994.
He was a lecturer in Civil Law at the Council of Legal Education and formed part for several years of the panel for Attorneys’, Barristers’ and Notaries’ examinations. He is a former Vice Chairman of the Mauritius Law Society.
He has since been involved in legal advice to commercial firms, banks, insurance companies, sugar companies, petroleum companies, textile companies and hotels, including taking up litigation for those entities; providing legal advice to parastatal bodies, and litigation for those entities; frequent offshore litigation; chambers work in support of international arbitration, as well as intellectual property litigation. He is also often involved in local and international arbitrations. He was appointed Senior Attorney in 2016.
André is the fifth generation of a family of lawyers and was in charge of Etude Robert, in close collaboration with a team of Attorneys and legal assistants. Etude Robert was founded by Mr Frédéric Robert, Attorney, in 1857. Mr Frédéric Robert has been followed by four other generations of lawyers, all of whom have been in the forefront of the legal profession in Mauritius. Etude Robert merged with BLC in 2016 to form BLC Robert.
André is a member of the Rotary Club of Curepipe, a board member of Junior Achievement Mauritius and Cheshire Home Mauritius.
- Mauritius Law Society
- Senior Attorney-at-law
- Diplôme d’Etudes Universitaires Générales (DEUG), Aix en Provence University
- Licence en Droit, Aix en Provence University
- Maîtrise en Droit (Specialisation Judicial Career) Ranked 1st, Aix en Provence University
Awards and Accolades
- Distinguished as a “Leading Lawyer” by IFLR1000
- Acting for a well-known hotel against a major insurance company which agreed to settle 50% of the claim.
- Acting for Harel Freres, now Terra (a major listed conglomerate in Mauritius), in a MUR 100 million claim brought by New Mauritius Hotels in relation to the fire at Victoria Hotel, allegedly originating from Terra’s sugarcanes.
- Appearing are now appearing for Kross Border, a Trust and Corporate Service Provider, licensed under the Financial Services Act in a matter involving dispute with a shareholder in a Global Business Company with a huge asset base.
- Acting for Harel Freres, now Terra, on long-lasting shareholder disputes within the company, most of which have now been resolved.
- Appearing in a huge claim against the State on alleged liability to maintain order and security.
- Acting for a major insurance company, as insurer of a leading contractor, in claims made against the State and another insurance company in respect of the flash floods which took place in Mauritius on 30 March 2013.
- Acting for Constance Hotels group in judicial review cases against State authorities in respect of large value real estate holdings
- Acting for a major multinational bank on disputes relating to Indian lending transactions in order to be able to sell pledged shares.
- Acting for a contractor in an important arbitration regarding dripping works performed for a parastatal body.
- Acting for in connection with a major arbitration regarding IT works involving a para-statal body.
- Acting in an important ICC arbitration against a Madagascar entity for defects in goods delivered.
- Acting in an arbitration matter in relation to water irrigation charges claimed to a sugar company.
- Appearing in a very hefty claim against RMB, a South African bank, for alleged wrongful termination of agreement.
13 / 24