Jessica K. Maina
Principal Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 (0) 703 032 117, +254 (0) 20 364 0000
Jessica is a Principal Associate at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna and is a member of the Real Estate & Construction department. Her practice focuses on real estate law. She also has experience in construction and corporate and commercial law.
Jessica has experience acting for local and international clients on a broad range of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, disposals, lettings, developments, real estate financings and property related corporate transactions.
- Law Society of Kenya
2015: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2014: Bachelors of Law (LLB), University of Nairobi
Jan 2022 – Date: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Aug 2021 – Dec 2021: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Aug 2019 – Jul 2021: Associate, Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews, Nairobi
Jan 2017 – Aug 2019: Associate, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
Jan 2015 – Dec 2016: Pupil/Legal Assistant, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
Aug 2014 – Dec 2014: Intern, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
Jul 2014 – Aug 2014: Intern, Sidian Bank (formerly K-Rep Bank), Nairobi
- Acting for various developers of retail and offices in connection with the leasing arrangements for the developments, including preparing and negotiating letters of offer, agreements for lease and leases.
- Acting for Sarit Centre in connection with leasing arrangements for the mall, including preparing the retail and office leases, liaising with tenants and their counsel, and stamping and registrations.
- Acting for Fleur Africa, a subsidiary of Global , in connection with its acquisition of agricultural properties in Naivasha, including undertaking detailed due diligence on the properties to be acquired, preparing, and negotiating sale agreements with the respective vendor’s advocates and implementing an appropriate structure for the acquisition of the agricultural properties to comply with the Kenyan laws governing acquisition of agricultural properties.
- Undertaking comprehensive legal due diligence for investors in real estate and as a part of M&A transactions.
- Advising real estate developers and purchasers on land control requirements in connection with agricultural properties, physical and land use planning processes, and real estate taxes, including stamp duty, capital gains tax, land rent and rates.
- Advising pro bono clients in connection with land laws affecting various social impact initiatives and particularly in environmental and wildlife conservation.
- Drafting and reviewing various contracts which in connection with or ancillary to certain real estate transactions, including term sheets, share purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, loan agreements.
- Undertaking research and preparing legal opinions on a range of land issues.
60 / 75