Jessica K. Maina
Principal Associate | ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna
ALN House, Eldama Ravine Close, Off Eldama Ravine Road, Westlands, Nairobi
P O Box 200-00606, Sarit Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Telephone:+254 (0) 703 032 117, +254 (0) 20 364 0000
Jessica is a Principal Associate at ALN Kenya | Anjarwalla & Khanna (A&K) and a member of the Real Estate & Construction department. Her practice focuses on real estate law. She also has experience in construction law and corporate and commercial law.
Jessica has experience acting for local and international clients on a broad range of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, disposals, lettings, developments, real estate financings and property related corporate transactions.
- Law Society of Kenya
2015: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, Kenya School of Law
2014: Bachelors of Law (LLB), University of Nairobi
Jan 2022 – Date: Principal Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Aug 2021 – Dec 2021: Associate, Anjarwalla & Khanna, Nairobi
Aug 2019 – Jul 2021: Associate, Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews, Nairobi
Jan 2017 – Aug 2019: Associate, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
Jan 2015 – Dec 2016: Pupil/Legal Assistant, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
Aug 2014 – Dec 2014: Intern, Bowmans (Coulson Harney LLP), Nairobi
Jul 2014 – Aug 2014: Intern, Sidian Bank (formerly K-Rep Bank), Nairobi
- Acting for various developers of retail and offices in connection with leasing arrangements for multiple developments including preparing and negotiating letters of offer, agreements for lease and leases.
- Acting for Sarit Centre in connection with the leasing arrangements for the mall, including preparation of the retail and office leases, liaising with tenants and their counsel and stamping and registration formalities.
- Acting for Fleur Africa, a subsidiary of Global SLI, in connection with its acquisition of agricultural properties in Naivasha, including undertaking detailed due diligence on the properties to be acquired, preparing, and negotiating sale agreements with the respective vendor’s advocates and implementing an appropriate structure for the acquisition of the agricultural properties to comply with the Kenyan laws governing acquisition of agricultural properties.
- Undertaking comprehensive legal due diligence for investors in real estate and as a part of M&A transactions.
- Advising real estate developers and purchasers in connection with land control requirements in respect of agricultural properties, physical and land use planning processes, and real estate taxes including stamp duty, capital gains tax, land rent and rates.
- Advising clients on a pro bono basis in connection with land laws affecting various social impact initiatives and particularly in relation to environmental and wildlife conservation.
- Drafting and reviewing various contracts ancillary to certain real estate transactions, including term sheets, share purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, loan agreements.
- Undertaking research and preparing legal opinions in connection with a range of land issues.
Prior to joining A&K:
- Advising a corporate property investment company in connection with the disposal of various high-value properties in Nairobi, including drafting of sale agreements, long term leases, undertakings, share pledge agreement, corporate guarantee, easement, discharge, transfer and advising on change of user and subdivision process.
- Acting for purchasers in connection with purchase of high-end residential properties, including reviewing and negotiating sale agreements, advising in respect of vendor breaches in liaison with litigation lawyers, advising on the probate process required prior to the completion of the sale.
- Advising a client in connection with the preparation and negotiation of complex leases for a large-scale logistics park and advising on arising business issues.
- Advising a confidential client in connection with the establishment of a large scale mixed-use development entailing providing advice on the property and corporate structure, including reviewing corporate and title documentation, drafting of the residential and industrial long term lease templates, incorporation of the group companies, researching on physical planning and tax matters and making stamp duty exemption applications on behalf of the client.
- Advising an investor in connection with a prime industrial property in Nairobi, including advising on the leaseback of a portion of the property to the vendor.
- Advising a client in connection with a comprehensive due diligence on properties intended for the establishment of a large-scale data centre.
- Advising several conservancies in various parts of Kenya in connection with land and corporate structuring, including community land matters and formation of trusts and operating companies, including assisting on the re-organisation of a private conservancy and the formation of a community trust for purposes of land and wildlife conservation.
- Advising a hotel in connection with its property restructuring in relation to a proposed expansion into the development of hotel villas for sale.
- Conducting legal research and drafted legal opinions on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters.
64 / 68