Julien is the Founder & Senior Partner of K-Solutions & Partners a corporate law firm in Kigali, Rwanda. He has been practicing at the Brussels Bar Association before joining the Rwanda Bar Association.
Julien is the Immediate Past President of the Rwanda Bar Association (2015-2021). He is also President of the Association of the Bar Associations of the Great Lakes Region (RDC, Rwanda & Burundi), Vice Chairman of the Kigali International Arbitration Center (KIAC), Board member of the East African Law Society (EALS), Board member of the Rwandan Law Reform Commission (RLRC), and recently appointed Board member of Rwanda Finance Ltd (Promoting the Kigali International Finance Centre).
Julien has over seventeen years of experience. His practice covers corporate and commercial law inclusive of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, Investment code and privatization, banking and finance, project finance, capital markets, arbitration and mediation, energy and natural resources, and finally he has been advising clients on a number of infrastructure and/or mining projects for their legal and regulatory matters.
Julien has lectured at the Institute of Legal Practice and Development (ILPD) and he is involved in the Admission Committee of new advocates by the Rwanda Bar Association.
Julien is recognized as a leading lawyer by IFLR, Legal 500 and by Chambers Global Guide for the last ten years (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011).
Julien is fluent in English, French and Kinyarwanda.
Julien is also actively involved in several initiative for the protection of the environmental and addressing the ecological issues.
- Member of the Rwanda Bar Association/RBA President of Rwanda Bar Association (2015-2021)
- Vice- Chairman of Kigali International Arbitration Center
- Vice-Chairman Rwanda Insolvency Administrator Board
- Board Member of Rwanda Finance Limited
- Board Member of Bank of Kigali
- President of Rotary Club Kigali Mont Jali (2011-2013)
- Board Member of Starbucks Farmer Support Center Rwanda Ltd
- Board Member of New Bugarama Mining Company
- Certified Advocate of Rwanda Bar Association (rwandabar.org.rw)
- Certified Advocate of East African Law Society (ealawsociety.org)
- Erasmus: specialization course in corporate governance (Faculty of Law Wolverhampton University (UK))
- Masters of Law (LL.M), Catholic University of Louvain (Belgium)
- Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice – ILPD
- Bar Professional Training Certificate(CAPA), Brussels Bar Association
- Master Class Turnaround Management
- KIAC – KLRCA Certified in Adjudication
- CEDR Accredited Mediator
- CIArb Certificate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Insolvency Administration Certificate, ORG – RDB
2015 – Date: President of the Rwanda Bar Association
2007– Date: Senior Partner, K-Solutions & Partners (Corporate law firm in Rwanda)
2004–2007: Senior Associate, De Wolf & Partners (Corporate law firm I Belgium)
Awards and Recognition
- Julien was ranked in Band 1 and described as the“face of the practice” and is vastly experienced in real estate matters as well as M&A, corporate, energy and banking law by Chambers 2019.
- Julien is ranked as a Band 1 lawyer in Chambers Global, since 2015 to 2018 which recognizes that he is “Smart and hard-working“.
- Julien is “strong in banking, financing and contract negotiations.” – Chambers Global 2013
- Julien is “a bright guy, practical and quite remarkable” – Chambers Global 2012.
- Advising a South African company in connection with a concession for the operation of converting gas to power and the setting up of a local structure.
- Advising a French Company in connection with quest to secure a license to extract Methane Gas in the lake Kivu and convert it in electricity.
- Advising BNP Paribas and Citibank London in connection with the first Eurobond for the Government of Rwanda of USD 400 million.
- Advising the East African Community in connection with the harmonization of business law in the partner states.
- Advising the government of the Rwanda’s Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Commerce in connection with a Belgian financing for the harmonization of domestic business law with OHADA Uniform Acts.
- Drafting the statutes of the new Kigali International Arbitration Center.
- Advising the Rwanda Development Board in connection with the review of the domestic business law and licensing reform.
- Advising the Government of Rwanda’ Ministry of Finance in connection with the first IPO in Rwanda where the government was selling 25% of its shares in BRALIRWA.
- Drafting the law establishing and organizing the Capital Market in Rwanda.
- Advising the government of Rwanda in connection with the review and evaluation of the New Company Act of Rwanda.
- Advising the Government of Rwanda in connection with the licensing reform in Rwanda, including the FIAS (World Bank).
- Advising the consultant drafting the new Mining Law in Rwanda and several mining operators in connection with the granting and/or transfer of their mining permits.
- Advising a Belgian company in connection with the acquisition of mining interests and the setting up of joint ventures, negotiating a concession agreement for the Company signed with the Government of Rwanda in January 2013 and now seating on Board of that Company.
- Advising an international foundation in connection with the creation of Public Private Partnership for the management of the National Park.
- Advising Thomas & Piron Grands Lacs, a Belgian Real Estate Company, in connection with the Construction of 234 houses in Rwanda.
- Advising a european investment bank in connection with the legal due diligence and negotiations for the acquisition of a local commercial bank.
5 / 7