Julien is the Founder & Senior Partner of K-Solutions & Partners in Kigali, Rwanda. He practiced at the Brussels Bar Association before joining the Rwanda Bar Association in 2005.
Julien is the outgoing President of the Rwanda Bar Association, as he has successfully completed his two terms of office (2015-2018 & 2018-2021). He is also Vice Chairman of the Kigali International Arbitration Center, a Board member of the East African Law Society, a Resident Director of New Bugarama Mining Companya , Board member of Bank of Kigali and recently appointed Board member of Rwanda Finance.
Julien has over eighteen years of experience in real estate and infrastructure, real estate and construction, mining law and banking law. His practice covers corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, privatisation, banking and finance, project finance, capital markets, arbitration, energy and natural resources, and infrastructure law.
Julien is also actively involved in a number of environmental and ecological issues in the local community.
- Recent Outgoing President of Rwanda Bar Association (RBA)
- Vice- Chairman of Kigali International Arbitration Center
- Vice-Chairman Rwanda Insolvency Administrator Board
- Board Member of Rwanda Finance
- Former Board Member of Bank of Kigali
- President of Rotary Club Kigali Mont Jali (2011-2013)
- Board Member of Starbucks Farmer Support Center Rwanda
- Board Member of New Bugarama Mining Company
- Certified Advocate of Rwanda Bar Association (rwandabar.org.rw)
- Certified Advocate of East African Law Society (ealawsociety.org)
- Erasmus: specialisation course in corporate governance (Faculty of Law Wolverhampton University (UK))
- Master of Law (LL.M), Catholic University of Louvain (Belgium)
- Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice – ILPD
- Bar Professional Training Certificate (CAPA), Brussels Bar Association
- Master Class Turnaround Management
- KIAC – KLRCA Certified in Adjudication
- CEDR Accredited Mediator
- CIArb Certificate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Insolvency Administration Certificate, ORG – RDB
2015 – 2021: Outgoing President of the Rwanda Bar Association
2007– Date: Senior Partner, K-Solutions & Partners (Corporate law firm in Rwanda)
2004–2007: Senior Associate, De Wolf & Partners (Corporate law firm in Belgium)
Awards & Recognition
- Julien was ranked in Band 1 and described as the“face of the practice” and is vastly experienced in real estate matters as well as M&A, corporate, energy and banking law by Chambers 2019.
- Julien is ranked as a Band 1 lawyer in Chambers Global, since 2015 to 2018 which recognizes that he is “Smart and hard-working“.
- Julien is “strong in banking, financing and contract negotiations.” – Chambers Global 2013
- Julien is “a bright guy, practical and quite remarkable” – Chambers Global 2012.
- Advising a South African company in connection with a concession for the operation of converting gas to power and the setting up of a local structure.
- Advising a French Company in connection with quest to secure a license to extract Methane Gas in the lake Kivu and convert it in electricity.
- Advising BNP Paribas and Citibank London in connection with the first Eurobond for the Government of Rwanda of USD 400 million.
- Advising the East African Community in connection with the harmonization of business law in the partner states.
- Advising the government of the Rwanda’s Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Commerce in connection with a Belgian financing for the harmonization of domestic business law with OHADA Uniform Acts.
- Drafting the statutes of the new Kigali International Arbitration Center.
- Advising the Rwanda Development Board in connection with the review of the domestic business law and licensing reform.
- Advising the Government of Rwanda’ Ministry of Finance in connection with the first IPO in Rwanda where the government was selling 25% of its shares in BRALIRWA.
- Drafting the law establishing and organizing the Capital Market in Rwanda.
- Advising the government of Rwanda in connection with the review and evaluation of the New Company Act of Rwanda.
- Advising the Government of Rwanda in connection with the licensing reform in Rwanda, including the FIAS (World Bank).
- Advising the consultant drafting the new Mining Law in Rwanda and several mining operators in connection with the granting and/or transfer of their mining permits.
- Advising a Belgian company in connection with the acquisition of mining interests and the setting up of joint ventures, negotiating a concession agreement for the Company signed with the Government of Rwanda in January 2013 and now seating on Board of that Company.
- Advising an international foundation in connection with the creation of Public Private Partnership for the management of the National Park.
- Advising Thomas & Piron Grands Lacs, a Belgian Real Estate Company, in connection with the Construction of 234 houses in Rwanda.
- Advising a european investment bank in connection with the legal due diligence and negotiations for the acquisition of a local commercial bank.
4 / 9