Lilian is an associate at ALN Uganda | MMAKS ADVOCATES, one of the leading law firms in Uganda. She has been practicing law for 6 years now. She is an Advocate of the High court of Uganda and a registered Trademarks Agent with the National Registration Bureau (URSB) with considerable experience in Intellectual Property law, her niche amongst the varied practices of the law.
Lilian acts for and routinely advises clients on the creation, registration, maintenance, protection, commercialization, and enforcement of various Intellectual Property rights in Uganda.
Lilian has also garnered considerable experience in corporate commercial matters with a keen interest in corporate governance. She advises various clientele on formation, corporate governance, contract negotiation and drafting, regulatory compliance among others. In a nutshell, she ensures that her clients operate within the legal framework while facilitating their commercial transactions.
Lilian is highly regarded by clients and described as “responsive and alive to legal solutions that make commercial sense.” She is a member of the Uganda Law Society I.P Cluster and ta committee member of the Uganda Law Society Young lawyers committee. Lilian is also part of the Project Girls for Girls (G4G) which offers professional mentorship and leadership skills through global network of female leaders (Mentors).
Lilian graduated with a Bachelor of Laws degree from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Developments Centrw, Kampala.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Uganda Law Society
- East Africa Law Society
- Uganda Law Society Intellectual Property Law Cluster
- Uganda Law Society Young Lawyers Committee
- Uganda Registration Services Bureau IP Directorate Users’ Forum
- Specialised Course on the Madrid system for the international registration of Trademarks (Distance Learning)
- General Course on Intellectual Property (Distance Learning)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- LL.B (Hons.), Uganda Christian University, Uganda
2022 – Date: Associate, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
2020 – 2021: Legal Trainee, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
2018 – 2020: Associate, Muganwa, Nanteza & Co. Advocates, Uganda
2017 – 2018: Legal Trainee, Kazungu, Kakooza-Alinaitwe & Co. Advocates, Uganda
- Acting for Diageo, Inc, a British multinational alcoholic beverage company, in connection with their Intellectual Property Ugandan Portfolio including filing, maintenace, advisory, dispute resoltuion as well as anti counterfeit measures.
- Acting for Meta Platforms, Inc in connection with their trademark applications in Uganda, including successfully appealing against the refusal of one of their trademarks.
- Acting for The Coca-Cola Company, best known as the producer of Coca-Cola, in connection with successfully appealing against the rejection of their trademark ‘Real Magic’ and subsequently assisting in registration of the trademark.
- Acting for Hayat Kimya Sanayi A.S., a global player in the manufacturing business with 67 companies operating in different industries, in connection with successfully pursuing the trademark abandonment of one of their products mark, ‘MOLPED’, and having the same registered for our client.
- Acting for Bidco Uganda Limited, a leading manufacturer of vegetable oil products, in connection with a suit against one of their trademarks, Including registering the trademark and negotiating a consent settlement.
- Acting for Sustainable Agro Solutions S.A, a company focusing on achieving a responsible agricultural development, in connection with defending their trademark against opposition by YARA International.
- Acting for one of the leading roofing’s company in Uganda in defending their trademark from cancellation by a rival steel company.
- Acting for various local and international clients in the day-to-day application, registration and maintenance of intellectual property rights.
21 / 23