Miriam is an Associate with the Corporate Advisory team at MMAKS Advocates. She routinely advises the firm’s clients on a variety of corporate and commercial matters ranging from business set-up, regulatory advisory, corporate governance, attending to routine filings, structuring commercial transactions, preparation, and review of commercial documents.
Through her work with the corporate and advisory team, Miriam has amassed critical skill sets for provision of legal services within the sectors of technology, media and E-commerce, charities and non-governmental organisations, insurance, financial services, corporate governance, corporate M&As and insolvency.
Miriam is an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda and holds an LL.B (Hons) degree from Makerere University, including a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre, Uganda.
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
2018: LL.B (Hons), Makerere University, Uganda
2019: Dip. L.P (Bar Course), Law Development Centre, Uganda
Nov 2021 – Date: Associates, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
Sept 2019 – Oct 2021: Legal Trainee, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
Jan 2019 – Sept 2019: Legal Assistant, PACE Advocates, Uganda
Nov 2018 – Dec 2018: Legal Volunteer, Platform for Labour Action (PLA), Uganda
Apr 2018 – Jun 2018: Clerkship, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
Technology, Media, and E-commerce
- Acting for Google in connection with its investment in Go Ventures, the holding company of SafeBoda Uganda, including reviewing of the transaction documents for the financing, reviewing the privacy policies of SafeBoda and its third-party service providers and advising a venture capital firm on a similar investment in a Ugandan fintech providing investment services. This was Google’s first investment through its Africa Investment Fund, where the investment was structured through a Simple Agreement for Future Equity.
- Advising Asante Financial Services, a company that provides money lending services on digital platforms, in connection with a partnership with a Ugandan telecom service provider and Mastercard Foundation in providing an asset finance service facilitating access to and ownership of smart phones.
- Advising a mobility fintech company in connection with the expansion of its drive-to-own business to Uganda, including providing regulatory advice on the fintech’s proposed business model in Uganda, obtaining the relevant licenses, preparing the requisite corporate documents and reviewing of the commercial agreements.
- Advising a client in connection of the acquisition of a leading agro-processing company in Uganda, including reviewing of the target entity’s corporate documents, reviewing of shareholder agreements and advising on the transaction documents to effect the acquisition.
- Acting for Sanlam, the holding company of the Sanlam group of companies, in connection with its proposed joint venture with the Allianz group of companies, including advising on corporate and commercial aspects of its proposed joint venture.
- Advising a client in connection with the proposed construction of the Kampala Storage Terminal, including reviewing of regulatory matters that would affect the construction of the terminal such as petroleum, procurement of contracts with the government, environment matters, finance, among others.
- Advising a client in connection with the amalgamation of the SN Power entities in Uganda, including preparing and registering of the requisite corporate documents at the Companies Registry and obtaining the relevant regulatory approvals for this amalgamation.
General Advisory (Charities and Non-Governmental Organisations, Corporate Governance, Energy, Gaming, Insolvency, and Insurance)
- Advising indigenous, local, regional, and international non-governmental and charity organisations in connection with the registration requirements to operate in Uganda.
- Advising clients in sectors ranging from general trade, telecommunications, financial and the oil and gas sector, in connection with the requirements of incorporation and registration of companies in Uganda and obtaining relevant licenses and registrations for businesses
- Advising clients in various sectors ranging from insurance, education, financial service providers, and health care services, in connection with their company secretarial, including attending to regulatory compliance matters at the Companies Registry and with several regulators such as Bank of Uganda, the Insurance Regulatory Authority, Uganda Microfinance Regulatory Authority, and the NGO Bureau.
- Advising a client in connection with the amalgamation of the SN Power entities in Uganda, including preparing and registering of the requisite corporate documents at the Companies Registry and obtaining the relevant regulatory approvals.
- Advising RF20, a company conducting business within the gaming and betting sector in Uganda, in connection with obtaining and renewing bingo and general betting licenses from the National Lotteries and Gaming Regulatory Board.
20 / 23